Cart New Account Login

HomeAbout usProductsSupportForumsBlogCustomer Service

search inside this forum
openSDA for KEA128
JASHAN M. Jan 27, 2016 at 07:18 AM (07:18 hours)
Staff: Zahar R.

• hi all,
    I am working on openSDA which supports KEA128 of freescale to flash and debug. I wanted to try building my own openSDA since i use KEA128 in my application. How do i flash the firmware initially to openSDA MK20DX128VFM5 controller so that i can use it for debugging it ??

Comments

• Greetings,

The OpenSDA firmware and design is made specifically for the tower and freedom boards designed by Freescale/NXP. You will not be successful in getting openSDA to work on your own design.

If you have a tower or freedom board, you should be able to connect a mini-USB cable and be able to drop srec files that programs the KEA128 device.

Please go to our www.pemicro.com/opensda website and download the firmwares. You can also hold down the reset button while connecting the mini-USB cable to enter bootloader mode and be able to drop a new openSDA firmware designed specifically for that board.

If the MK20DX128 chip is blank, you would need to purchase one of our programming hardware and software to get the bootloader and firmware back onto the MK20 chip.

What is your end goal? Are you looking for a flash programming and debugging hardware? What part of OpenSDA is intriguing that wants you to use it? This will help me in getting you the information you are looking for.

Takao Yamada

• Hi takao Yamada,
    Thanks for the reply, yes i am looking to flash and debug KEA128 to be specific via openSDA, the ease in debugging made me think of openSDA. Yes my MK20DX128VFM5 is blank, what should be the programming hardware and software ?? else do suggest me the alternative to it ??

• Greetings,

Since you are designing your own board, openSDA is not a good choice. Even if you go down this route, you will need to purchase our hardware and software solutions, which are better solutions than openSDA anyways.

Since you seem to be in prototyping stage, instead of production, I would suggest our multilink hardware family. For Kinetis, you have the option of the following:

USB ML Universal (cheaper but slower):
    http://www.pemicro.com/products/product_viewDetails.cfm?product_id=15320137

USB ML Universal FX (faster, provides power to target):
    http://www.pemicro.com/products/product_viewDetails.cfm?product_id=15320143

The software solution is to use our PROG flash programming software:
    http://www.pemicro.com/products/product_viewDetails.cfm?product_id=15320138

The main difference between using multilink and openSDA is you will not have the ability to drag and drop your firmware to program. However, with PROG you have much more control over what you can do, like securing the chip, programming trim, viewing the memory, etc.

If you need debugging solutions, you may want to look into Freescale/NXP's S32 ARM solution, which is free. This can be used to flash program and debug as well. But it will not have the same detailed control abilities like TRIM and chip security.

Takao Yamada

• Hi Takao,

this seems like a right thread to ask. You said:

"If the MK20DX128 chip is blank, you would need to purchase one of our programming hardware and software to get the bootloader and firmware back onto the MK20 chip."

I have FRDM-K64F board, it has integrated OpenSDAv2 with MBED bootloader. I'd like to use my board with "MSD-DEBUG-FRDM-K64F_Pemicro_v114.SDA" firmware from OpenSDA firmware package. It looks like this firmware can be used only with PE bootloader.

Please, can you describe how to change MBED bootloader for PE bootloader? I have Multilink Universal.

Thank you.

Regards,
    Martin

• Greetings,

Since you do already have a bootloader, your situation is actually easier to handle. You actually do not need the multilink in your case. Only if the OpenSDA bootloader was erased would you have to use our external debuggers to contact the target MCU.

If your case, please download the openSDA firmwares from our website here:
      www.pemicro.com\opensda

Within this zip file, you will find instructions within "BOOTUPDATEAPP_Release_notes.txt" on how to update the bootloader between MBED and PE.

Because you already have a bootloader, at least it will get detected by the computer so you can drag and drop new bootloaders or APP files. In the original thread, the user wanted to create their own OpenSDA on their custom design, which will not work.

Takao Yamada

• Hi,

thank you for reply! I'm affraid that something is wrong with the update procedure.

1.) I entered MBED bootloader mode, windows enumerated virtual drive "BOOTLOADER". It contained bootload.htm file that says "Version: 0201 Build: Feb 25 2014 16:50:21".

2.) I copied BOOTUPDATEAPP_Pemicro_v111.SDA to BOOTLOADER drive as described in BOOTUPDATEAPP_release_notes.txt

3.) BOOTLOADER drive disappeared and I waited for a while.

4.) I disconnected USB cable and connected it back.

5.) Nothing happened, OpenSDA LED was dark and no drive appeared in windows.

6.) This lasted until I pressed reset, then LED started to blink and BOOTLOADER drive appeared.

7.) MBED bootloader was back, no update was done. bootload.htm file says "Version: 0201 Build: Feb 25 2014 16:50:21" again.

8.) Points 5 and 6 now repeat every time I disconnect and reconnect USB cable.

Please, can you help me with this? Thank you.

Regards,
        Martin

• Hi Martin, 

I just want to clarify a few things that Takao have mentioned above.

The only way for someone to use full P&E OpenSDA firmware stack which includes P&E Bootloader and MSD/DEBUG/CDC OpenSDA firmware is by working with a Freescale/NXP board which was pre-programmed with P&E firmware image at a manufacturing facility. P&E Bootloader and MSD/DEBUG/CDC application are proprietary to P&E and we do not distribute them to customers outside of manufacturing facilities. Most of Freescale OpenSDA boards come pre-programmed with P&E firmware.

If you happen to have a board that is running MBED bootloader, you can drop P&E universal MBED compatible application on top of it:

DEBUG_OpenSDA_for_MBED_Bootloader_by_Pemicro_v108.bin

This debug OpenSDA application will allow you to use P&E run control layer under different development IDEs as well as CDC based virtual serial port. It will not, however, include support for MSD (mass storage debug) drag and drop functionality.

Best Regards,
    Zahar
    P&E

• Hi Zahar,

thank you for reply. Actually the information you provided ("The only way for someone to use full P&E OpenSDA firmware stack which includes P&E Bootloader and MSD/DEBUG/CDC OpenSDA firmware is by working with a Freescale/NXP board which was pre-programmed with P&E firmware image at a manufacturing facility.") is quite interesting as it is in contradiction to info provided in this topic so far. See for yourself:

Q: How do i flash the firmware initially to openSDA MK20DX128VFM5 controller so that i can use it for debugging it?

A: If the MK20DX128 chip is blank, you would need to purchase one of our programming hardware and software to get the bootloader and firmware back onto the MK20 chip.

Q: Please, can you describe how to change MBED bootloader for PE bootloader?

A: Within this zip file, you will find instructions within "BOOTUPDATEAPP_Release_notes.txt" on how to update the bootloader between MBED and PE.

FRDM-K64F is OpenSDAv2 design and as such it is shipped with MBED bootloader. The same goes for TWR-K65F180. I suppose that FSL/NXP can confirm this. Yet your firmware archive contains MSD-DEBUG-FRDM-K64F_Pemicro_v114.SDA that can never be used with publicly available boards (according to your statement). Maybe you should consider mentioning this in firmware archive readme file.

Best regards,
      Martin

• Greetings,

The answer given by Zahar will be more accurate. He is the lead designer of the OpenSDA and OSBDM designs.

Takao Yamada

Add comment

Want to comment? Please login or create a new PEMicro account.

© 2017 P&E Microcomputer Systems Inc.
Website Terms of Use and Sales Agreement