Cart New Account Login

HomeAbout usProductsSupportForumsBlogCustomer Service

search inside this forum
TWR-MCF51CN board connection to MC9S08MP16 daugter board by OSBDM
Pawel N. Dec 14, 2015 at 05:00 AM (05:00 hours)
Staff: Takao Y.

• Hello,
    I have problem with connection between 2 boards: TWR-MCF51CN and MC9S08MP16. I'd like to use my MCF51CN board as debugger for MP16 board by OSBDM. I disconnect processor of MCF51CN and plug the wire on BDM on both sides. My connection is recognized in CodeWarrior as Embedded S08 OSBDM/OSJTAG Device. When I want to upload blank project for MP16 there's information that target is not responding. When I reconnect nothing happened. Please help me with this problem.
    With best regards,
    Pawel

Comments

• Greetings,

This is not supported. The OSBDM firmware is hardcoded to only work with the device it is embedded with. So the OSBDM firmware on your TWR-MCF51CN will only work on the ColdFire CN128 chip. This is why it will not work with the 9S08MP16. Plus, those are two different chip architectures so it is not the same protocol.

May I suggest purchasing the USB Multilink Universal if you need a cheap solution for flash programming or debugging:
    http://www.pemicro.com/products/product_viewDetails.cfm?product_id=15320137

Note, you do need the right software as well. Let me know if you need assistance with software selection.

Takao Yamada

• In the P&E Updater I select in Architecture to support family S08 which is MP16 board. Even with it, it couldn't work? When I update MCF51CN board with Coldfire V1 architecture in CodeWarrior showed "wrong debug architecture". Is it USB Multilink Universal only way to upload program? Or is this any cheaper solutions?
    Greetings,
    Pawel

• Greetings,

USB Multilink Universal is the cheapest solution we provide. OSBDM is cheaper and priced into the purchase of the board, but only intended to work on the board it was designed for. You could try looking for a MP16 board that has OSBDM, but I do not think there is one.

Takao Yamada

• OK, so I think about buying USB Multilink.
    So all this problems are commited by wrong work of BDM, aren't they?
    I add screens of my errors:
    http://imgur.com/a/yM3Hz

With best regards,
    Pawel

• Greetings,

The errors I see shows that the software is able to detect your hardware, but it has difficulty communicating to the chip. This is because the OSBDM firmware is only meant to work for MCF51CN128 chip and not the 9S08MP16.

If you purchase the USB Multilink, it will work with Codewarrior 10.x and the 2 chips you are trying to work on. I highly suggest you update your Codewarrior to version 10.6.4. Otherwise, you will need to manually change the firmware within the multilink. The newer software version will automatically do this for you and not give you any headaches.

Takao Yamada

• Thank you very much for your help and explanation of the problem. :)

Greetings.

Add comment

Want to comment? Please login or create a new PEMicro account.

© 2017 P&E Microcomputer Systems Inc.
Website Terms of Use and Sales Agreement