Cart New Account Login

HomeAbout usProductsSupportForumsBlogCustomer Service

search inside this forum
deceased USBMULTILINKBDME
Ed T. Oct 29, 2015 at 04:46 PM (16:46 hours)
Staff: Takao Y.

• hello:

I powered up my test board with the USBMULTILINKBDME connected and the current draw was 2.8A. I then powered down and disconnected the USBMULTILINKBDME which was warm to the touch. power back on and the board drew about 100mA.
    this unit was purchased from digikey on june 9 2015.
    I popped the case open and the heat seemed to be coming from the cpu.

please advise if there is a warranty path for this.

thank you!!

ed taylor

Comments

• Greetings,

Even though you purchased it in June, when did you start using it? Also back in June? Has this been working fine for multiple months?

Do you have any idea why it was drawing that much current? Did you short some pins? Are you using an adapter or custom ribbon cables that may have shorted?

Takao Yamada

• hi takao:

thank you for your prompt response!

it has primarily been used for the last couple of weeks.
    there have been no modifications of the device and the board it was connected to has been in production for years. the bdm port on the board is a 6 pin mating connector to the pod and it is the ribbon cable that is attached to the pod.
    I had it connected to the board when I finished work on Monday and everything was working. when I powered it on Wednesday I saw the draw and felt the pod which was warm.

thank you again!!

best regards,

ed

• Greetings,

Go to Support Page -> Support Requests and request for an RMA ticket. Our technical support team will send you an email and RMA ticket of how to get that sent to us for repair.

Our manufacturing warranty is 1 year, however, since this setup was working previously this is obviously not a manufacturing defect.

Cost of repair or replacement will apply to your situation.

Takao Yamada

• hello takao:

I strongly disagree sir. yes, it was working out of the box, however it failed while working on a board that it had been in use on for a few days. I had another couple of bdm pods that were not working and found the ribbon cable was broken on one of them. I took the cable from the other and got the one unit operating. it has been in use since on the same board.

please advise.

thank you!

best regards,

ed

• Greetings,

Please create a support request ticket and request for an RMA ticket. We will assess the damage and determine how it may have been caused. We test all of our hardware before it gets shipped to customers. In your support ticket, please in full detail tell us your setup from the chip you used, how you powered everything, and what kind of issues you faced.

Takao Yamada

• hello takao:

I am embarrassed to inform you that there was an intermittent oscillation from the power regulator that was causing a 2.5v waveform (a few MHz) over the 5 volt rail. indeed, the failure occurred due to a fault in the target board. I now have two units that have been compromised due to a hardware fault on the target. is it worth shipping these back for repair considering that they have both had 7.5v vdd applied?

thank you!!

best regards,

ed

• Greetings,

Thank you for the details. With high voltage damage it will only damage a few components on the multilink and easy to fix. At least it was not a short circuit where it could damage the whole unit.

The USB Multilink BDM is a discontinued product and it has been replaced by the USB Multilink Universal. We can still repair your multilinks but since you are not located in the USA, it will cost you international shipping both ways and the cost of repair, and it may take more than a week (but hopefully less than 2 weeks) to ship, repair, and ship them back.

My honest suggestion to most international customers is to purchase the new multilinks instead of repair or replace. The cost of shipping would only be 1 way and you get your units immediately without waiting for repairs. They are the same as the USB Multilink BDM but they support more chip architectures which will help future proof your projects:
    http://www.pemicro.com/products/product_viewDetails.cfm?product_id=15320137

Takao Yamada

• hello takao:

I will follow your advise. thank you again for your help.

best regards,

ed

Add comment

Want to comment? Please login or create a new PEMicro account.

© 2017 P&E Microcomputer Systems Inc.
Website Terms of Use and Sales Agreement