Cart New Account Login

HomeAbout usProductsSupportForumsBlogCustomer Service

search inside this forum
Possible to use BDM through USB redirection?
Jerry G. Aug 17, 2015 at 01:01 PM (13:01 hours)
Staff: Johnny N.

• Has anyone had any luck using a BDM through USB port redirection connected to Code Warrior debugger running on a remote machine?  I'm using the purple USB BDM Multilink Interface (USB-ML-12) with MC9S12XA256 microcontroller.

I need to work at a remote site and cannot transfer my CodeWarrior license to the laptop.

When I am at the remote site with the laptop, I log into my desktop development machine using Remote Desktop and use Code Warrior that way. I plug my BDM into the laptop then redirect the laptop USB port back to the desktop development machine using RemoteFX (part of Remote Desktop). The BDM appears as a local device back on the development desktop.

CodeWarrior debugger sees the BDM except it struggles to communicate. It cannot determine a valid IO_DELAY_CNT, etc. Perhaps the latency of the USB redirection through the Ethernet is causing the issue.

Does anyone have any experience doing this?

Is there a better BDM or a different debugger that may help in this situation?

Comments

• Jerry,

The IO_DELAY_CNT error can also be caused by a secured hcs12 microcontroller. You should try to communicate with the target first using our UNSECURE12 utility. https://www.pemicro.com/faqs/faq_view.cfm?id=1

With respect to your question about USB communication over Ethernet, I have tested our USB devices on our company LAN with a USB Ethernet hub from StarTech. Any USB devices connected to the hub appear as local devices to my PC. This has worked reliably for me. http://www.startech.com/Networking-IO/USB-PS2/4-Port-USB-over-IP-Network-Hub-Adapter-USB-Ethernet-Device-Server~USB4000IP

I don't have any suggestions for RemoteFX nor do I understand how sensitive the USB communication would be to the network latency.

There is another option you can try and that is our Cyclone Pro which has an Ethernet Port. Your development PC will be able to see the Cyclone Pro and vice versa as long they are configured on the same subnet or your firewalls are forwarding all the packets correctly.

Lastly, I think there is special version of Codewarrior for HCS12 v5.1 that is time limited and without any other restrictions. http://www.freescale.com/webapp/sps/site/overview.jsp?code=CW_SPECIALEDITIONS You can load this one your remote laptop and debug locally if this is just a one time requirement.

Regards,
    Johnny
    P&E Engineering Support

• The processor was never secured, so that is not the issue.

I borrowed a Cyclone Pro and it worked well through the Ethernet. I was able to successfully remotely debug.

I'll need to watch on eBay for a cheap one to show up. The Cyclone Pro is quite expensive for the simple things that I would use it for. Do you know if there is a simpler, cheaper, Ethernet debugger available?

• Hi Jerry,

We don't have any other HCS12X programmer that is Ethernet enabled. The price is about $600. You may be able to find other cheaper debuggers on the market but I don't think they will work as reliably (or maybe not at all) with Codewarrior 5.1. If this is a long term project for your company, the expense may be worth it. I hope you find what you need.

Regards,
        Johnny
        P&E

Add comment

Want to comment? Please login or create a new PEMicro account.

© 2017 P&E Microcomputer Systems Inc.
Website Terms of Use and Sales Agreement