Cart New Account Login

HomeAbout usProductsSupportForumsBlogCustomer Service

search inside this forum
Debugging problem in CodeWarrior 6.4 (IDE 5.7.0 build 2264)
Richard L. Aug 4, 2015 at 05:21 PM (17:21 hours)
Staff: Takao Y.

• Suddenly this week I cannot debug in CW6.4 under Windows XP SP3 on a Coldfire ETX board using a USB-ML-CFE Rev D cable.  It will load the program and stop at a breakpoint, but when I try to single step I get a disassembly window at address 00000000.  If I try to resume nothing happens and if I try to stop I get a "Stop failed" message box.  I've tried reinstalling all drivers, updating drivers, reinstalling CW6.4, a different cable and a different CPU board, all with no change in this behavior.  

Can anyone suggest something more I can try?

Comments

• Greetings,

First thing you should try is creating a default project for your chip within Codewarrior. See if the default project works. If it does, then something in your project is causing this problem. This could be settings or code you changed recently.

If the default project fails as well, then it could mean hardware problems. Try a different board, different P&E interface if you have extra, and try to pinpoint the problem. If you believe the problem is the P&E interface, then you may want to go to Support page -> Support requests to create a ticket to get your hardware repaired and tested.

Takao Yamada

• Takao,

Thanks for that suggestion. I tried a previous project that had worked fine previously, and it too is showing this problem. I have already tried a new USB-ML-CFE cable, new CPU board, all still showing the same effect. I'm convinced that it is a configuration/driver problem, but I don't see how to proceed as I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling both CW and the drivers with no change. I even tried the latest P&E driver (V11), but it would not install. It gives me some sort of "ESignature" error and fails to install.

Anyone have any other ideas? I'm desperate here...

Rich L.

• Greetings,

Do you have another computer to try? It might be worth trying to install the software and drivers on another machine and create a brand new project and see if it works. If not, then the problem is most definitely hardware.

Do you know if your chip may have been secured? If so, try using the unsecure CF utility:
    http://www.pemicro.com/downloads/download_file.cfm?download_id=228

Takao Yamada

• Takao,

Yesterday I had our location in CA send a second notebook with CW6.4 and USB-ML-CFE. They arrived today and everything is working fine on that system. I haven't tried the old USB-ML-CFE with the new notebook yet (I have to get a job out first...) but I plan to do that soon.

Any idea what sort of hardware problem in the notebook or USB-ML-CFE could cause this problem? The cable just plugs into a USB connector, and the PEMicro test program says everything is OK.

Rich L.

• Greetings,

We will have to do a test on multiple factors....

Drivers:
    1) Go to Device manager and make sure 2 items show up under Jungo when the multilink is connected:
    Jungo -> WinDriver -> Properties -> Version 11.1 or higher
    Jungo -> USB Multilink 2.0

2) Both blue and yellow LED on the multilink is lit, indicating that drivers are good (blue) and the multilink detects power on your board (yellow).

Firmware:
    1) Download the following firmware updater utility and see it if can not only detect your multilink but update it to the latest version we have:
    http://www.pemicro.com/downloads/download_file.cfm?download_id=260

Software:
    1) You may want to patch up your Codewarrior to have the latest DLL. The problem could be that your multilink got the latest firmware and now there is a firmware to software/DLL version incompatibility. Use the patch I have created and see if updated DLLs will solve the issue:
    http://www.pemicro.com/faqs/faq_view.cfm?id=211&menu_id=faqs

Hardware:
    Since now you have 2 multilinks, you may want to compare voltage readings on some of the important signals and see if you get vastly different readings between the 2 multilinks.

Takao Yamada

• Takao,

Thank You, Thank You, Thank You!!! Installing the new unit_cfz.dll (and associated files) did the trick, I'm up and running again.

Your help is much appreciated, have a good day,

Rich L.

• Hurray!

I knew my patch would work. So that proves that you had a firmware change on your multilink recently and there was an incompatibility issue. Sorry that you had to go through the panic attack to get things working again and I hope your project is smooth sailing from here on out.

Takao Yamada

Add comment

Want to comment? Please login or create a new PEMicro account.

© 2017 P&E Microcomputer Systems Inc.
Website Terms of Use and Sales Agreement