Cart New Account Login

HomeAbout usProductsSupportForumsBlogCustomer Service

search inside this forum
Classic CodeWarrior stopped working after Cyclone Max firmware update
Jack A. Jul 16, 2015 at 04:39 PM (16:39 hours)
Staff: Takao Y.

• Classic CodeWarrior stopped working after firmware updateI loaded the newest version of Cyclone Max software and it updated the firmware. Now I can’t program / debug with my legacy code warrior (using CF 5213). All the programming tools provided work but the IDE does not. I tried the Cyclone on a different computer that I had not updated the software and it also did not work (so I’m assuming) that it is the Cyclone not any new drivers. The version it updated to was 7.89 I’m not sure what the previous version was however the old computer had Cyclonemaxen2.76 and cyclonemaxen.750 on it.  

Can I revert to the older version easily to test my theory?

Jack

Comments

• Greetings,

Downgrading firmware is not a good solution because it can cause the unit to brick. Instead, I regularly update DLL support for classic Codewarrior with patches. Please use the following FAQ to get the patch you need and see if it fixes your problem:

http://www.pemicro.com/faqs/faq_view.cfm?id=211

Let me know if you have any other questions or concerns.

Takao Yamada

• Hi,

Thanks for your prompt response. I looked at the patches but I don’t have those DLLs on my machine. I’m running codewarror 6.4 and to get around the 64 bit OS issues, I am running in a virtual machine that has windows 8 (32 bit). I’m working on sustaining a legacy product so porting the code over to the later versions of codewarroir is not an option. I was pretty happy with everything until I thought I’d download the latest version rather than use the CD. There must be a way to revert the firmware to the previous version? I’m already too many hours into figuring this out to spend more time at my hourly rate to fix something that wasn’t broken. If I need to pay for support or buy a new unit that has older firmware please let me know. My schedule is pretty tight.

Jack

• Greetings,

Your firmware is already updated and updating the DLL will get it working. Check your Codewarrior's directory and you need to check the bin\plugins\support\coldfire\pemicro folder. The unit_cfz.dll has to be there for you to communicate to any of the P&E interfaces. You just have to update this file. This is not a later version of Codewarrior. It is a patch with file replacement.

It is part of our policy to discourage downgrading the firmware.

Takao Yamada

• Thanks again for the quick response! It helps with the frustration. I looked again and I don’t know why I didn’t see the file previously (apologies). Installed the files seems to work. Haven’t tried any hard core debugging yet but I expect no problems. Thanks 

Cheers
         Jack

• Takao,

Sorry one additional issue after updating the DLLs. I get a pop-up message every time I step or run in the debug mode that says “Not a ready response from chip – try a RESET”. Any suggestions? I’m happy to be working...just really slows me down clicking on the ok for each step through the code.

Cheers
         Jack

• Greetings,

Try lowering the communication speeds. This can be found in your project settings. Is the debugging even responsive? Are variables and registers changing?

Takao Yamada

• Takao,

Thanks…changed the speed, made no difference. Changed ports to see if that made difference. The debugging works just as normal other than that annoying pop up. Setting break points, stepping through a loop (painful) all the variables are updated each step. Seems to be only when sending debug / Run commands. The erase and programing have no issues that I’ve seen.

Cheers
         Jack

• Greetings,

Could you try creating a basic default project and see if you are getting the same problem? Make the least amount of changes and settings to it. I want to know if this is all around problem, or project specific.

Could you go to Support Page -> Support requests and create a ticket with my name in the ticket name. I will find it and I want you to attach a project you are using so I can try to replicate this. In the mean time, I will go locate a MCF5213 board.

Takao Yamada

Add comment

Want to comment? Please login or create a new PEMicro account.

© 2017 P&E Microcomputer Systems Inc.
Website Terms of Use and Sales Agreement