Cart New Account Login

HomeAbout usProductsSupportForumsBlogCustomer Service

search inside this forum
USB Multilink Universal does not communicate with device
Bill S. Apr 27, 2015 at 03:57 PM (15:57 hours)
Staff: Takao Y.

• Hello,
    I am having trouble with the USB Multilink Universal Rev C. I am trying to interface with a MPC5554 using Freescale's esys flasher 1.3 but cannot connect. I have the latest drivers and updated firmware from the downloaded resource CD, have changed the firmware to the Qorivva 5xxx, and am using port A per the technical summary. This is using Win 7. I have an older version of the USB Multilink Universal that works fine under the same setup and with the same device. Is there anything that I am missing? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Greetings,

The esys flasher is an old Freescale tool from year 2006 and it has not been updated to the latest version needed to support the latest hardware interfaces. This is not our tool so unfortunately I cannot help you there. You can try contacting Freescale to see if they will update it for you.

I highly recommend using our PROG PPCNEXUS software to flash program your devices. We have a 64K limited version of the software on our website. Give it a try and the full purchased version will not have any limitations:
    http://www.pemicro.com/products/product_viewDetails.cfm?product_id=15320089

(Note, to debug you need a different software called ICD PPCNEXUS. ICDPPCNEXUS includes PROG for flash programming.)

Takao Yamada

• Thank you for your response Takao. I am currently trying out the PROG PPCNEXUS Starter Edition, but am having some trouble. When I load the algorithm for the MPC5554 I am not getting a prompt to set the base address and cannot find how to do it. What I would like to program is well below the 64k threshold (1k), yet I am getting an error message saying I am "exceeding the number of PM commands". Any advice?

• Greetings,

You do not have to change any base address. The S19 file or ELF file you are using should already be set to a specific start and ending address. However, if you made your file generic and need to move it, then that is a different story.

Once you load the algorithm, use the SS command to load the S19/ELF file.

Then use the command EM to erase the flash.

Then you should be able to call the PM command to program your device.

Takao Yamada

• Correct, my S19 file has a start and end address. Except this will not work very well if I have to erase the entire chip, and all the prior programming, in order to flash to a small >1k range. I need that prior programming to stay intact. Do I have to purchase the software in order to be able to do this?

• Greetings,

Yes, you need to purchase the full version to allow the programming to work without having to erase the flash chip.

I would advise trying to find a board and chip you are okay with erasing and programming to test out the software. I want you be comfortable with the software before purchasing it and you are welcome to ask me any questions.

Takao Yamada

• Got it. It does work once I erase the entire chip. I appreciate your responses. Thank you.

Add comment

Want to comment? Please login or create a new PEMicro account.

© 2017 P&E Microcomputer Systems Inc.
Website Terms of Use and Sales Agreement