Cart New Account Login

HomeAbout usProductsSupportForumsBlogCustomer Service

search inside this forum
Why does an error popup when programming target S9S08QD2 with PROGCHS08 and my interface is USB-ML-UNIVERSAL
Joe Z. May 8, 2017 at 03:37 AM (03:37 hours)
Staff: Takao Y.

• The popup message is "The target MCU is not responding.Please turn MCU power off(UNDER 0.1V),turn MCU power on ,and then click OK.This will attempt to enter debug mode through a power on reset sequence.
    How can i fix this? I want to automatically program the target.
    The target MCU is S9S08QD2,the interface is USB-MULTILINK-UNIVERSAL,and the software is CPROGCHS08.

Comments

• Greetings,

The problem is that you are programming fresh chips with no code inside which means it boots up in reset and stays there. If you programmed your chips once and tried using the CPROG software with your multilink you will not see this warning message.

The only way to enter background debug mode on a chip that is stuck in reset is to power-on-reset (POR) while the multilink holds the RESET line low. Because you have the multilink universal it does not have the ability to do the power cycling for you so you must power cycle manually. This is why you see the popup message even in CPROG because otherwise you would never be able to program your device.

However our multilink universal FX or cyclone universal hardware can do the power cycling and you will never see this message.

Takao Yamada

• Thanks for your reply,

Can I avoid the message and enter background debug mode by multilink universal? I've tried to power cycle manually before connect to target, or hold the RESET line low then connect.But it doesn't work.

I'd like to program the target automatically, and the only problem is the popup message now.My device was designed to have the ability to provide power to the target,hold the RESET line low and so on.So if I can avoid the popup message manually,my device can do it too.

• Greetings,

There is a specific sequence needed to enter background debug mode (BDM) that is completed in a short amount of time:

1) BKGD and RESET signals start with high signal
    2) PEmicro interface pulls BKGD and RESET low
    3) PEmicro interface releases RESET line to go back high
    4) PEmicro interface releases BKGD line and starts toggling to start communication

The problem is your blank chip when powered up externally and goes into run mode it immediately goes into reset state because there is no code to run and it is stuck there. This is why once you program your device with code (presumably good code that does not reach an exception) then your next attempt into debug mode is easier because the chip is not stuck in a reset state. So the idea here is to power up the device with RESET already low and not allow the chip to boot into run mode.

When you get the dialog popup, the multilink is already on step 2 I listed above. It is holding down reset and BKGD line for you and you need to manually power cycle the chip so that the chip cannot boot into run mode. Once you do that and click okay, then it moves onto steps 3 and 4. You could hold down the reset button on your board to avoid the popup but good luck timing the release of the reset button when the PEmicro interface needs RESET line high in step 3.

Having a PEmicro interface with ability to provide power allows the multilink to do the power cycle for you. It holds down the BKGD and RESET lines, it shuts off power and turns it back on, then proceeds into step 3 and 4. If you are going for automation then you need to make a change in PEmicro hardware.

Takao Yamada

Add comment

Want to comment? Please login or create a new PEMicro account.

© 2017 P&E Microcomputer Systems Inc.
Website Terms of Use and Sales Agreement