Cart New Account Login

HomeAbout usProductsSupportForumsBlogCustomer Service

search inside this forum
STM32 Cyclone Programming both Bootloader and Application Code.
Shane B. Aug 22, 2016 at 09:29 AM (09:29 hours)
Staff: Mikhail A.

• Is there an example of how to setup a standalone cyclone to program both bootloader at a given address (08002000) and Application code at another address (0800FFFF)?

Comments

• Dear Shane,

We do not have an example of how to do this. However, we generally do not differentiate between Bootloader code and Application code, so the same process can be used to program both of them. For standalone mode, you would create an image such as:

CM <algorithm>
    EM
    BM
    SS <Bootloader_S19>
    PM
    VM
    SS <Application_S19>
    PM
    VM

Assuming the addresses do not overlap at all, there should be no issue with doing this.

Regards,
    Mikhail
    P&E

• I assume I can also use ELF format or will that not offset address loading?  Also where is the pin 1 marker for the 20 pin connector?  I'm trying to attach a Tag Connect 2050 to it and wanted to verify the correct orientation.

• Dear Shane,

There should be no issue with the ELF format. Give it a try, and if there is any issue we can take a look at the file.

Which Cyclone product are you using?

There are different orientations for different models. For the Cyclone Universal, Universal FX and ACP, the pin 1 is on the left side of the connector, marked by a small 1 in the corner. For the Cyclone Max, there is a small pin number marker on the under-side of the unit.

Regards,
    Mikhail
    P&E

• Cyclone for STMicro

• Dear Shane,

For this cyclone, the ribbon cable should be plugged in straight down from the unit. This means if you are holding the cyclone with the LCD screen pointed to the ceiling, the ribbon cable should be plugged in so it is hanging straight towards the floor without folding over.

Regards,
        Mikhail
        P&E

• Also I haven't made the connnection yet but with the two elf files I can load the image on the Cyclone but when I hit start I get a 1B error.  I assume I need new firmware according to the error code list?

• i've downloaded the lastest and no change. See a $0000001B error when hitting start.  The image creation seems to work but the application code its placing at the next avail block instead of where I want it 0800FFFF according to the log.  Also on the description of where PIN 1 is the ribbon doesn't help me as I am attaching it to a Tag connect 2050 .  It doesn't have a ribbon for the 20 pin side its a board.  I really need to know where PIN 1 is in referece to the Cyclone itself.  Also how do I resolve the 1B error code.   It doesn't indicated its making any changes to the firmware on the release that shipped or with the one I downloaded.

• Dear Shane,

What firmware version does your cyclone display on it's screen? Also, are you using the Image Creation Utility that came with the software I sent you, or a different Image Creation Utility.

We can resolve the addressing issue once we are able to get a valid image.

For the connector, are you trying to design a custom connector to go to the Cyclone? If this is the case, you can find a full description of the connections made in the Cyclone_for_STMicro_User_Manual that is part of the Cyclone_stmicro install. I will replicate the relevant information here:

The 20-pin connector pin definitions are as follows:
    20-Pin JTAG Pin Assignments
    PIN 1 - TVCC PIN 2 - NC
    PIN 3 - NTRST PIN 4 - GND
    PIN 5 - TDI PIN 6 - GND
    PIN 7 - TMS PIN 8 - GND
    PIN 9 - TCK PIN 10 - GND
    PIN 11 - NC PIN 12 - GND
    PIN 13 - TDO PIN 14 - GND
    PIN 15 - RESET PIN 16 - GND
    PIN 17 - NC PIN 18 - GND
    PIN 19 - NC PIN 20 - GND

20-Pin SWD Mode Pin Assignments
    PIN 1 - TVCC PIN 2 - NC
    PIN 3 - NC PIN 4 - GND
    PIN 5 - NC PIN 6 - GND
    PIN 7 - SWDIO PIN 8 - GND
    PIN 9 - SWCLK PIN 10 - GND
    PIN 11 - NC PIN 12 - GND
    PIN 13 - NC PIN 14 - GND
    PIN 15 - NC PIN 16 - GND
    PIN 17 - NC PIN 18 - GND
    PIN 19 - NC PIN 20 - GND

Regards,
    Mikhail
    P&E

• I used the software you provided.  On the programmer V1.65-1.0 is displayed.  I am able to create a image and get it onto the programmer.  I'm not using a custom connector.  I'm using industry standard Tag Connect which plugs right into my STLink 20 pin and programes with no issues. www.tag-connect.com is the source.  

I've tried both JTAG and SWD. After hitting the start button it stops with ERROR $0000001B,

• I'm still hung at ERROR $0000001B.  It does this even with a simple test image.

• Dear Shane,

Please open a Support Request on our system, and reference this forum post there. I would like to send you a new firmware to see if we can clear that error.

Regards,
    Mikhail
    P&E

• The issue was caused by an invalid firmware that shipped with the Cyclone ST. By updating to a valid firmware file the issue will be resolved.

Add comment

Want to comment? Please login or create a new PEMicro account.

© 2017 P&E Microcomputer Systems Inc.
Website Terms of Use and Sales Agreement