Cart New Account Login

HomeAbout usProductsSupportForumsBlogCustomer Service

search inside this forum
Which Algorithm to choose to create image
amit w. May 6, 2016 at 03:42 AM (03:42 hours)
Staff: Takao Y.

• Hi,

I am using Freescale MC912XET256BMAA (Weired I dont even find this micro controller on their official website).

TO be exact on my chip follwoning is printed,

"MC912XET256BMAA"
    "1N36H"
    "QQLK1501C"

Now, I have .s19 file and want to download this into microcntroller,

Although I read "https://www.pemicro.com/blog/index.cfm?post_id=36"; but couldnt able to select proper algorithm even selection even flash program request form i couldnt find the particular microcontroller.

please advise me which algorithm to select.

thank you.

Comments

• Greetings,

1) Just so I know your whole setup, could you tell me which P&E hardware you are using?

2) I must note, that our 9S12 support needs physical format for you to flash program. Your S19 is in logical format. You need to convert your file to PHY for our tools to work. If you used Codewarrior, do not use their PHY file but instead use their GLO file. Their GLO is the same as our PHY.

3) All of our algorithms can be found by going to Support page -> Flash Programming Algorithm. Here you would select 68HC(S)12(X) Internal flash.

You will find many algorithms for your chip. You will essentially find PFLASH, EEPROM, and DFLASH. You will most likely be using the PFLASH algorithm to program your code. However, your code may have data in DFLASH and EEPROM as well. You may also need to partition the data flash so that you can program DFLASH and EEPROM. Read the chip's reference manual to understand this.

So you may want to do something like load the PFLASH, erase (will only erase the PFLASH), program (will only program the PFLASH), then switch to DFLASH, erase (will only erase DFLASH), program (will only program DFLASH), etc.

Takao Yamada

• Hi Takao,

I am using "PE Micro Cyclone PRO“.

MY MCU is Freescale "MC912XET256BMAA"

How to get the GLO file ?

do I also need to select algorithm ?

I see many algorithms but which one is to select ?

Thanks.

• *Note, you may find duplicate algorithms but have something called "PLL" in the algorithm name. These algorithms take advantage of the chip's clock boosting capability so that your flash programming can be faster. You may want to first try the non-PLL algorithms and when satisfied then switch to the PLL algorithms for a boost in speed.

• Greetings,

The GLO is automatically generated by Codewarrior. It should be in your workspace. If you do not have Codewarrior, then ignore GLO files.

Yes, you need to select the algorithm and I have already mentioned which algorithm you should select. Please reread my previous replies.

I highly suggest you use PROG for HCS12 software within the cyclone software package to make sure you are able to flash program before you use the image creation utility.

Takao Yamada

• Hi 

I do have Codewarrior but I am not creating my own .s19 file,I directly have this file from our customer, I have successful burn it using Codewarrior(Hiwave).

----------------------------------------------

I am not embedded developer, selecting an algorithm is critical since I dont find the device "912XET256BMAA" inside 68HC(S)12(X) Internal flash list.

are "912XET256" and "9S12XET256" same ? what that 's' makes a difference ?

if yes then which file do I need among,

Freescale_9S12XET256_1x16x128k_256k_Linear_Pflash.12p Freescale_9S12XET256_1x16x128k_256k_Linear_Pflash_PLL.12p Freescale_9S12XET256_1x16x32_64byte_Pflash_user_IFR.12p
    Freescale_9S12XET256_1x16xmax16k_max32k_Linear_User_Dflash.12p Freescale_9S12XET256_1x16xmax16k_max32k_Linear_User_Dflash_pll.12p
    Freescale_9S12XET256_1x16xmax2k_max4K_EEPROM_linear_1k_page.12p Freescale_9S12XET256_1x16xmax2k_max4K_EEPROM_linear_1k_page_PLL.12p

-----------------------------------------------
    Which prog among below is suitable for HCS12 ?

Cyclone_Progs12zz
    CyclonePro_Prog12z
    cyclonepro_progcfv1
    CyclonePro_ProgHcs08
    CyclonePro_ProgRS08

Thanks.

• Greetings,

The 'S' does make a difference. But there is no such thing as 912XET256. There is only 9S12XET256.

There will not be an algorithm named 912XET256BMAA because the 'BMAA' just indicates the silicon package and temperature range it functions. Our tools do not care the silicon package or temperature.

Please read my message on May 6, 2016 - 09:34 AM. I already explained what each algorithm means. You can ignore the Pflash_user_IFR.

You should be using PROG12Z.

Takao Yamada

• Thanks Takao,

I have successfully able make image and burn it into micro controller.

normally, I use following sequence,

CM
    SS(.phy file)
    EM
    PM
    VM

do I need to take care of any other things here ?

--------------------------------------------

Well, I am using LabVIEW and so far I can control the functions from "CYCLONE_CONTROL.dll" unfortunately I could not find the function to convert my .s19 file .phy file.

can you also provide dll package for "Log2Phy tool" ?

Thanks.

• or can I just put .glo file instead of .phy ?

Thanks

• Greetings,

You tell me if there are anything else you need to take care of. I do not know what else you need to program. But the sequence you have given me is typical and I find nothing wrong with it. Do you need to partition and program the DFLASH and EEPROM? Do you need to secure the chip? Do you need to program dynamic or serial data?

Just use the GLO file. GLO is exactly the same as our PHY.

P&E PHY == Freescale GLO
    P&E PHY =/= Freescale PHY

Takao Yamada

Add comment

Want to comment? Please login or create a new PEMicro account.

© 2017 P&E Microcomputer Systems Inc.
Website Terms of Use and Sales Agreement