Cart New Account Login

HomeAbout usProductsSupportForumsBlogCustomer Service

search inside this forum
Reading/Editing SAP Files
Geoff F. Mar 17, 2016 at 06:40 PM (18:40 hours)
Staff: Takao Y.

• We have a project starting production now.  For this project, I have created a number of .SAP images using the Cyclone Image Creation Utility (version 3.56), most of which work fine.  However, some of them have rather cryptic names that relate to dates and times rather than functions.

I have realised to my embarrasment that there is now little or no documentation on how to re-create these SAP files. At least we have the images, input files and tools in our version control sytem.

What I would like to do is to be able to at least open the SAP files to confirm their settings (such as relay control, command sequence, etc). It would be really useful to be able to edit the SAP files to give them meaningful names. Failing that, if I have the details of the settings I can recreate the files properly.

The closest I've seen is at this link:
    http://www.pemicro.com/forums/forum.cfm?forum_id=7&forum_topic_id=4094#c5826

Any ideas?

Geoff

Comments

• Greetings,

I have sent you the utility I have to read the SAP image details. However, you will not be able to read the S19 data or the algorithm you have selected. Those are the only things you will need to re-remember.

By default in image creation utility, we just put the date and time so people can remember which images were created when. It is not an ideal image name and I also agree that you should give them better image descriptions.

To help you in the future, when creating an image, go to the File Menu within the image creation utility and select "Save image configurations". This creates a .CFG file that has all the details including the path to the algorithms and S19 files you have selected. Then next time you can "Load image configurations" to setup the exact same image you have saved!

Takao Yamada

• Thank you Yamada-san (and Huajun Liu, who is also credited in the progam).

This utility shows exactly the information I was looking for, except I'd like to see the name within the file as well.

As I said, I have records of the .S19 files (and the actual files and original source code), so not being able to interpret those is not a major drama.

If the name of the algorithm was available, that would be useful, but I imagine the SAP image just contains the relevant commands and code.

I'll see if I can re-create the images now, then save the configurations.

Regards,

Geoff

• I'd also like to see the Reset Signal Settings, if possible, please.

• I've just tried using the utility to retrieve my settings, then re-built some of the images.  I then used FC to compare the re-created images with the originals.

Interestingly, even recreating a copy of the simplest of the images (which just contains a "CM" command to re-load the algorithms after a reset) resulted in an entirely different file. This makes it really hard to confirm that the image is correctly re-created.

Would it be possible to display the image CRC32 in the decoder as well? That, at least, would give me some confidence in the match.

Regards,

Geoff

• Could you send me the utility as well? Thanks!

• Greetings,

Algorithm and binary file name cannot be extracted from the SAP image because when creating the SAP file, the contents of the files are extracted and information like file name, file path, or other details are lost.

Concerning reset signal, I can look into this, but I think you can easily extract that information by actually running the SAP file and checking the RESET line using a voltmeter after the SAP commands are completed.

Not only is trying to create a replica result in entirely different files, even using a new version of image creation utility can cause differences. This is because we encrypt the file contents to make it almost impossible to get any information from the SAP file to protect the customer's intellectual property.

You can get the SAP image CRC32 from the cyclone image management utility, which you should have in your cyclone pro/max software directory. I can look into adding this into the utility in the future.

Takao Yamada

• Thanks for the update Yamada-san.

I suspected encryption was the explanation for the behaviour I've observed.

Because of the nature of our product (with some very small components, some of them under conformal coating), it's quite hard to probe the reset lines. I certainly don't have much chance to do that on the system that's on our production floor. At least there's a Cyclone on my desk for development purposes.

I've just opened the Cyclone Image Management Utility Version 3.11, but it only seems to want to open images that are loaded on the Cyclone already. That's a start and I can use that as a workaround for now.

Regards,

Geoff

• Greetings,

Were you able to recreate the SAP images? Is there anything else you may need from me?

Takao Yamada

• Hi Yamada-san,

I think I've been able to re-create something that seems to be the images, but I can't seem to get the CRCs to match. This makes me think I haven't quite succeeded. I'm loath to take a re-created image to the Production floor without actually trying it, but I should be able to do that at my desk.

I just have to find some breathing space in between fighting fires on the production floor to be able to do that check. Maybe today.

Regards,

Geoff

• Greetings,

Any update on this?

Takao Yamada

• Not yet.  There are too many other issues going on at the moment.

• I've now sorted out my naming issue as per this thread: http://www.pemicro.com/forums/forum.cfm?forum_topic_id=5075

I've tried rebuilding the Calibration image to start with. Even with the same settings in use (as reported by the SAP decoder utility), I can't seem to get the calibration image to match the same CRC32. I will get there eventually however.

I have now found an exact match for the very simplest of the items (Load Algorithm). This gives me some hope.

• ...and now I've been able to exactly duplicate the original files, so I've saved the results as both config files and screenshots.

The SAP decoder helped a lot, but there was still some trial-and-error required.

• Hi there,
    I'm facing the same problem and would like to read the SAP image details to configure the new image. Where can I get the configuration extract tool to extract from an existed SAP file?

• Greetings,

Please open a ticket at Support page -> Support requests. Then I will send you the utility.

Takao Yamada

Add comment

Want to comment? Please login or create a new PEMicro account.

© 2017 P&E Microcomputer Systems Inc.
Website Terms of Use and Sales Agreement