Cart New Account Login

HomeAbout usProductsSupportForumsBlogCustomer Service

search inside this forum
Reload the old firmware on the card DEMO9S08QD4
Roberto C. Jan 27, 2016 at 10:58 AM (10:58 hours)
Staff: Takao Y.

• Good morning,
    I have a very urgent problem.
    I need to recharge on my three cards DEMO9S08QD4 firmware version 5.55. Since the card was automatically updated to version 5.84 we can not program the chip on our target.
    How can I restore the old firmware?
    Best Regards
    Roberto

Comments

• Greetings,

Let me know what kind of error you are getting when trying to program using the new firmware.

We do not advise in firmware downgrading. I would advise that you try to create a new image using the image creation utility from our latest software and firmware download:
    http://www.pemicro.com/downloads/download_file.cfm?download_id=291

If you do not have the original S-rec/ELF file to program the device, then you may need to contact whoever engineer generated this file.

Please let me know if you have questions on creating an image. Downgrading is the last resort solution.

Takao Yamada

• Dear Takao,

thank you for your answer.
    In reality, the problem is not in programming but in the connection between the card DEMO9S08QD4 and our target that is not seen.
    When I try to connect, the command window messages says:

Windows NT detected.
    USB HCS08/HCS12 MULTILINK detected - Flash Version 5.84
    Frequency change to ~0hz.

Error: Can not enter background mode.

Device is 9S08QD4.
    Mode is In-Circuit Debug.

I have to program 200 target and for to proceed, now am using a programmer PE Micro USB Multilink Interface, but I have great difficulty, I have to constantly reset the related target and only then, when I'm lucky I succeed to connect to the target and to program it (one every 1o minutes about).

I can confirm that this did not happen with the version of the firmware 5:55 (I only used the card DEMO9S08QD4).USB HCS08/HCS12 Multilink
    Operating system that I use is always been WinXp

Best Regards
    Roberto

• Greetings,

I made the assumption you were using a cyclone. Firmware version 5.84 is actually our most stable firmware we ever released. It has been this version for over 6 years now!

A few questions to understand the problem:
    1) Are these chips blank? Note, that if you have a multilink connecting to a blank HCS08 chip, you may need to power cycle the chip/board because the chip is running no code. When a chip is running no code, it is perpetually in reset. You may see a dialog indicating to please power cycle. During this, the multilink is holding down the reset and BKGD lines to force background. This is typical for multilinks because it does not have the capability of power control the unit. This is not a problem with cyclones. It is odd to me that this was not a problem with older firmwares, as this is a chip/hardware behavior.

2) What software are you using, and its version? This could be a software/firmware incompatibility issue. How did your multilink get firmware updated to the latest version?

3) Other than the new firmware, was there any other changes you made to software/hardware setup that I should know about? This may not be a firmware issue, but possibly another change you may have made recently.

Takao Yamada

• Greetings,
    Chips are not empty. Have been programmed at our office the first time a few days ago, without any problem through the card DEMO09S08QD4 (window ICD indicated Port: Freescale Design on USB1, notes that now with this version indicates DEMO09S08QD4 on USB1), unfortunately the firmware was for one other card, and now we have to reprogram them with the right firmware.
    The version we are using is the V5.1.
    The programming had to be redone by our contractor, at its headquarters. DEMO09S08QD4 the cards we had provided us to do the job but gave up after a few attempts. It could be that the firmware is up to date because he used a different version?

Regards
    Roberto

• Greetings,

Are you using an external multilink that attaches to the 6-pin header, or are you using the embedded multilink that is native on the DEMO9S08QD4 board?

Takao Yamada

• Hi,

I am using an external multilink that attaches to the 6-pin header to target the flat is about 20cm long.
    I tried both with the target self powered, disconnecting the VDD pin of 6-pin header that feeding the target from the demo board.
    The two pins of the micro (target)dedicated to programming, are free from other connections.
    I also tried to pull_up pin reset with a 10K resistor.

Roberto

• Greetings,

Do you still have multilinks with older firmware still working and can still program these boards? I just want to make sure this is only a firmware change that has happened.

Could you grab a multimeter and measure the voltages of the following pins on the 6-pin BDM when powering up your board: pin 1 (BKGD), pin 4 (RESET), and pin 6 (VDD). Pin 2 is GND. Report back your voltage readings.

Then simply connect the multilink to the 6-pin header and remeasure and let me know what you find. I want to know if there is a drastic change. Note, do not do anything in software yet when you connect the multilink. Plug in the USB to the multilink then immediately connect to the board.

Takao Yamada

• Greetings,

Any update on this?

Takao Yamada

Add comment

Want to comment? Please login or create a new PEMicro account.

© 2017 P&E Microcomputer Systems Inc.
Website Terms of Use and Sales Agreement