Cart New Account Login

HomeAbout usProductsSupportForumsBlogCustomer Service

search inside this forum
Error code $00000007 when programming with Cyclone Pro
kenneth b. Aug 25, 2015 at 01:09 PM (13:09 hours)
Staff: Takao Y.

• Hello,

I am using a Cyclone Pro to program a MC9S08 in stand-alone mode. Pro firmware is rev 8.53-1.6. I am using the 6 pin BDM connector to connect to target. I am getting Error $0007 when I attempt to program the MC9S08. I have measured the voltages on each pin on the programmer and the ribbon cable. I am not getting a reading across any of the pins. This is holding up my production I need a resolution rather quick. Thank you.

Comments

• Greetings,

Are you trying to provide power externally or via the Cyclone Pro's internal relays? If from the cyclone, make sure you have the correct jumper settings on the cyclone. Check the back of your cyclone to see which configuration you need. It is most likely you need the middle 3 jumpers populated. For more details please read the user manual for the cyclone pro.

What you should measure after the target is powered up is 5V on VDD, BKGD, and RESET if you selected 5V as power. 3V for all the pins if you selected 3V option. If you are measuring lower than what is set, then you have something on your board that is dropping the voltage. Please check your schematic.

Takao Yamada

• Thank you for your quick response. I am using the Cyclone as the power source. Yes I did populate the 3 middle pins. I have used this device several times previously as far as I can tell all the settings are the same. I was able to program 1 MC9S08. I started having issues thereafter. I measured the voltages at that point and I agree I got 5V on VDD with the 5V selected as power. Now I am not getting anything on any of the pins.

• Greetings,

Could you try using the PROG software found in your cyclone pro software package? You want to use PROG for HCS08. See if you can flash program using this. I want to know if this is a configuration and settings problem, or your cyclone got damaged somehow. Do you smell any burning from the cyclone?

Takao Yamada

• No I don't smell anything. So this is what I get when I try to flash program the MC.

"The target MCU is not responding. Please turn MCU power off (under 0.1V), turn MCU power on, and then click ok. This will attempt to enter debug mode through a power on reset."

This appears when I try to flash it with the (provide 5v power to target) selected.

• Greetings,

What happens if you do power cycle the board? Does it work? The quote you mentioned will show up if the cyclone cannot detect any power on your board.

If you provide power externally to your board, does it work? If it does, then there may be a power relay issue with your cyclone. Do you ever hear the clicking noise coming from the cyclone? Do you have a revision C of the cyclone, which has the ability to provide power via the 6-pin BDM?

Takao Yamada

• Hello,

When I cycle the power to the board nothing happens. The board does has power. When I click OK I do hear the relay click, but I still get the error code. I have rev C. And I did read that I could power the board from the programmer.

• Greetings,

That is very odd. You should see the "power" LED turn on and you should be able to measure 5V on VDD, RESET, and BKGD. Pin 1 is BKGD, pin 4 is RESET, and pin 6 is VDD. GND is pin 2. Are you reading 0V on VDD? If so, then you have a defective cyclone. Again, please double check your jumper settings, do a continuity test on your ribbon cable, and ensure that pin 1 on BDM header and pin 1 on the cyclone are connected correctly by the ribbon cable.

If you believe you have a defective cyclone, please go to Support Page -> Support requests and fill out a support ticket. Update your P&E account with shipping address so we can generate an RMA ticket for you.

Takao Yamada

• The power LED on the programmer and the target are on. Measuring pin 1 and pin 2 I'm getting 2.5V. Across pin 1 and 6 I'm getting 2.5V as well. I can't tell you exactly what the issue is, but something isn't right.

• Greetings,

So if I understand where you are now, you are providing power via the cyclone but it is currently only providing 2.5V. No external power. At least that is better than 0V.

Are you set to provide 3V or 5V? Check your PROG or image creation utility and make sure you selected the correct voltage.

If you chose 5V but you are only getting 2.5V, then that is very bad. Disconnect from the target and use a multimeter to measure the voltages on the cyclone itself. Is it 5V? If so, it could be that the voltage is dropping after attaching to your target board. This can happen if there are current- or voltage-limiters in your schematic. If you are measuring 2.5V on the cyclone, then you have a bad cyclone and you should get it repaired.

If you chose 3V and you are measuring 2.5V, that is more likely the problem and you should check your schematic for any components that may be dropping the voltage. Usually it is a resistor in series placed as a protection resistor.

Takao Yamada

• So I was able to get the programmer to function long enough to work for 3 targets. I measured the voltage and I'm getting 2.5V on pins 1 and 2. and 5V on pins 1and 4. the voltage has been only been selected to deliver 5V to the target. It seems to be some kind of short somewhere from the pins or inside the housing of the programmer. Either way I need to send this back because my line has been down all day.

• Greetings,

Has this setup worked in the past with other cyclones? Is this your first attempt?

The 5V on VDD is promising. That means the cyclone is providing the correct voltage. The 2.5V you are reading is coming from the target. The cyclone does not pull that high. It only has the ability to pull-low on the BKGD and reset lines.

I do not think it is time for a repair yet. We need to do a few more tests to find out what is going wrong.

Could you check your schematic and make sure the BKGD line is a direct connection to the chip? You should also try adding a 4.7K-10K pull-up resistor on BKGD to see if that improves.

Takao Yamada

• I have use this programmer many times before. The imagines have been updated a few months ago that's the only change. with all due respect as I said before my production line has been down all day and although you have been prompt with your response I need to either send this unit in on an RMA or find away to get this unit working. Adding a resistor will be a project in itself. The Cyclone Pro is suppose to be plug and play. An entire day has gone past and I still don't have an ETA when I can have this working.

• Greetings,

I am just doing my due diligence in getting most of the debugging done on your end. Repairs and shipping is going to cost money.

Please fill your P&E account with shipping details and let me know when that is complete. I will then create the RMA ticket on your account. RMA may take up to a week for repairs. If you have an immediate need for a cyclone pro, then I suggest you to buy a new cyclone pro while waiting for your current cyclone to be repaired.

Cyclone repair is $200, Cyclone replace (if not repairable) is $300. Shipping you must provide. Hardware warranty is 30 days after purchase for non-manufacturing issues. 1 year for manufacturing defects. If you believe your cyclone is within this 30 day window, then please find the order number and report it in the RMA ticket (do not say your order number on the public forums).

Takao Yamada

• Hi,

we have one new cyclone max programmer, which contiousily showing the

ERROR $00000007 during the firmware download. can you please support us to resolve the issue ASAP.

Thanks & Regards,
    Ajal.S.Nair (Mail Id: ajal.nair@nestgroup.net)
    Test Engineer
    SFO Technologies Pvt Ltd
    INDIA

• Greetings,

This topic is about the cyclone pro.

Please create a new topic concerning cyclone max. They are two very different products so I will not discuss that here.

Takao Yamada

Add comment

Want to comment? Please login or create a new PEMicro account.

© 2017 P&E Microcomputer Systems Inc.
Website Terms of Use and Sales Agreement