Cart New Account Login

HomeAbout usProductsSupportForumsBlogCustomer Service

search inside this forum
Programmed device counter?
John P. May 10, 2015 at 02:19 AM (02:19 hours)
Staff: Takao Y.

• 1)  Does Cyclone have a counter that lets you see how many devices have been programmed?

2) Does Cyclone have a way to de-authorize programming after a pre-determined number of devices have been programmed?

Comments

• Greetings,

In current generation of cyclones we do not have that feature. However, the next generation cyclone which comes out by end of this summer will have both features you are asking for. Soon you will hear about the Cyclone Universal!!

Unfortunately, we have no plans to implement it into the current generation.

Takao Yamada

• I think I read the Cyclone can program a unique serial number.

Does the number increment as each device is programmed?

Could this be used as a way to keep track of the number of devices that have been programmed?

• Greetings,

The cyclone can do serial numbers. The number does increment after each device is programmed. However, the cyclone will not stop after a certain number. But what you can do is use the menu options within the cyclone pro and max to check the current value of the serial number. This could be a manual way of knowing how many devices it has programmed. But it must be successful in programming the serial number into your chip's flash.

Takao Yamada

• Is the serial number feature password protected?

How is this controlled?

• Greetings,

The serial number is not password protected.

You should download the serialize utility to look at how the serial numbers are first setup and how you can control the upper and lower bounds of each number in the sequence:
    http://www.pemicro.com/downloads/download_file.cfm?download_id=102

Takao Yamada

• Is my code protected?

Can I prevent my client from programming an unsecured device which he can later read and load into a different Cyclone?

Must I maintain complete control of the Cyclone to prevent loss of my IP and unauthorized programming of devices?

• Greetings,

Security on chip:
    Your code and serial number could be protected by securing it, but it is not password protected and it depends on the chip architecture.

If the chip supports security, then if someone were to try entering debug mode after a chip has been secured, they have only the option to mass erase the flash which prevents them from reading or writing over the secured flash contents. Please read the reference manual of your chip to learn more.

If the chip supports security, to secure the chip just use the "secure device (SD)" command within PROG or image creation utility options.

(Note, if you are using PowerPC Nexus as your target device, then there is a password protection available.)

Security on Current Generation Cyclone:
    The SAP image within the cyclone cannot be read out of the cyclone. Therefore, even if you send off your cyclone to your client, they will have no way of extracting any intellectual property. However, if the customer/client/user gets a hold of the SAP file, then they will have the ability to load it into a cyclone. They also have the ability to erase and load their own SAP image onto the cyclone.

The user can still use the menu options to look at the serial number and decrease or increase the serial number as they chose. So if I were you I would not completely rely on the serial number as your counter.

If you have specific features you wish to see in the next generation cyclones, please let us know by creating a support request ticket. Go to Support Page -> Support ticket and put my name (Takao Yamada) on the ticket name and I will pick up your suggestions. I prefer not to disclose any specific details on the public forums.

Takao Yamada

Add comment

Want to comment? Please login or create a new PEMicro account.

© 2017 P&E Microcomputer Systems Inc.
Website Terms of Use and Sales Agreement