Cart New Account Login

HomeAbout usProductsSupportForumsBlogCustomer Service

search inside this forum
Multilink Universal does not connect at first attempt
frederico m. Apr 2, 2015 at 03:38 PM (15:38 hours)
Staff: Takao Y.

• Hello everyone,

I'm working with a Multilink Universal (green Rev.B). I'm able to program and debug using Code Warrior. But there is something that bores me a lot. When I try to connect it on the computer the first time in the day, sometimes it connect the first try (led blue lights up), but sometimes I need to unplug USB cable and plug it again. Sometimes many attempts are necessary. I certified that the cable is okay.

I would appreciate if any of you had this problem and how it was resolved.

Thanks

Comments

• Greetings,

A few questions:
    1) Could you tell me which chip architecture you are trying to program?

2) Do you shut down your computer each day and turn it back on? I ask this because the multilink may lose its enumeration between booting. You might see the blue LED is not lit when you turn on your computer each day.

3) Do you use any external USB hubs? Or is the multilink directly connected to the computer?

Takao Yamada

• Hello Takao Yamada,

Thanks for replying.
    Answering the questions:

1) I'm trying to program Freescale Kinetis family. Microcontroller MKL05Z32VLC4.

2)Yes. If I keep the cable I have to unplug and plug Multilink because when PC is turned on led blue is never on.

3)The multilink is connected directly to the PC.

Thanks,
    Frederico Marcelino

• Greetings,

1) Is this a custom board with the KL05Z32? Or are you using Freescale's Freedom evaluation boards?

2) So even after you replug the multilink to your PC after a reboot, you still have issues connecting to your chip?

4) Do you have any custom ribbon cables, adapters, external watchdog, or reset drivers? Sounds like your problem is a hardware communication problem and this behavior is popular with customers who add customized setups.

Takao Yamada

• Hello Takao Yamada,

Answering the questions.

1)Yes, it's a custom board.

2)The connection problem is not with the chip itself. I have to plug and replug many times to connect the Multilink with the PC (until the led blue lights up). After led blue is on I can debug my custom board normally.

3)I'm using only ribbon cable. But it is ok. Even if I plug nothing in the Multilink and try to plug the USB cable, I have to unplug until the led blue goes on. I mean, even without a board connected to the Multilink I have the connection problem.

• Greetings,

Sounds like the issue may be competing USB drivers. First, go to your device manager and look for these two items:
    Jungo -> WinDriver
    Jungo -> USB Multilink 2.0

I want you to right-click on both items and uninstall them.
    Second, I want you to uninstall any P&E drivers you may have on your computer. Go to C:\pemicro\PEDrivers if it exists and uninstall from there. Or you can go to your control panel and go to add/remove software and find it there.

Then try installing the latest drivers:
    http://www.pemicro.com/downloads/download_file.cfm?download_id=301

Takao Yamada

• Greetings,

Any update on this?

Takao Yamada

• Hello Takao Yamada,

sorry for being late.
    Unfortunately it did not solve. Sometimes I still have to unplug and plug to connect the Multilink Universal.

Thanks.

• Greetings,

If the Jungo and USB Multilink 2.0 shows up in device manager, then the drivers should work just fine. The problem could be USB port drivers for your PC or if you have many other USB devices connected. The multilink needs at least 0.5A to function and if you have too many USB devices it may be getting no juice to function correctly.

Another problem could be that during flash programming or debugging the software gets frozen or locked up and the multilink is stuck in a state. You may need to power cycle the multilink to reset back to normal again.

However, I have never heard of the multilink simply failing to connect to a computer. If you continue to see this issue, I advise you to send it to us for repair and we can take a look at it. If you wish to do so, please go to our Support Page -> Support Requests and request for an RMA.

Takao Yamada

Add comment

Want to comment? Please login or create a new PEMicro account.

© 2017 P&E Microcomputer Systems Inc.
Website Terms of Use and Sales Agreement