Cart New Account Login

HomeAbout usProductsSupportForumsBlogCustomer Service

search inside this forum
Partition memory using Cyclone Max
gautam j. Jan 29, 2015 at 01:59 AM (01:59 hours)
Staff: Takao Y.

• Hi,

I want to partition NVmem (EEPROM) after i program the MCU with Cyclone Max.
    Is there any reference document that shows how to do this?
    I am using MK10DX256VLQ10.

Comments

• Greetings,

You need to partition first before you program your MCU. Partitioning involves erasing all of flash content.

First, read the FlexNVM chapter of your chip's reference manual. You will learn about EEESize and DEPART. You need to figure out what values you want to put in these registers and use the Partition command (PA) and then Erase Module (EM) to execute the partition. The PA command has a parameter of 4 bytes, where 2 bytes are for the EEESize and the other 2 bytes are for DEPART.

I would highly suggest you try this in PROG for ARM device software, which is included in your cyclone max software package. This way you could try different values for PA and immediately after use EM. Without EM command, you will not partition the memory. Then use the Show module command (SM) to see if the flash memory has indeed been partitioned.

Only when you are satisfied using PROG software should you move to implementing on the Image creation utility for standalone cyclone max programming. Do the same PA and EM commands at the beginning of your image and then program your S19/ELF file.

Takao Yamada

• Greetings,

Thanks for your inputs, but I am not able to perform the patitioning successfully yet.

I am using controller MK10DX256VLQ10,
      I want to have 4096 bytes of EEPROM (ie.256KB for EEPROM) & 0 byte of D-flash.
      As per the reference manual,
      DEPART = 0110 or 1000 &
      EEESIZE = 10 or 11

In this case what should be the parameter value to PA command?
      It cant be 0x00020110 as PA command accepts value from 0000 to 3F0E.

Kindly support

Regards
      Gautam Jotkar

• Greetings,

You need to combine the EEPROM SPLIT, EEE SIZE, and the DEPART value in hex format.

For example, if you wanted EEESPLIT to be binary 01 and EEESIZE of binary 0010, then your first two hex values will be 0x12. With DEPART of binary 0110 or hex 0x6, your total partition value will be 0x1206.

Does that make sense to you?

I understand the partitioning could have been explained better and I hope my explanation helps you.

Takao Yamada

• Greetings,

Were you able to partition your flash?

Takao Yamada

• Yes...

Thanks a lot for your kind support.

Regards
    Gautam J.

• Please correct me if I am wrong,

Parameter to partition command (PA)
    0b ( XXXX XXXX XXXX XXXX )
    EEESPLIT EEESIZE DEPART

Regards
    Gautam J.

• Greetings,

You are correct.

Takao Yamada

Add comment

Want to comment? Please login or create a new PEMicro account.

© 2017 P&E Microcomputer Systems Inc.
Website Terms of Use and Sales Agreement