Cart New Account Login

HomeAbout usProductsSupportForumsBlogCustomer Service

search inside this forum
Cyclone Pro Error $07 - Reset Voltage 2.7V?
Adam S. Dec 18, 2014 at 04:56 AM (04:56 hours)
Staff: Takao Y.

• Hello - 

We have been using multiple Cyclone Pros to program a Freescale MCF51JM128VLH in a manufacturing environment on a few different products. This afternoon, we began to receive error code $0007: Error entering debug mode.

After browsing the forums, we have tried replacing the cable between the programmer and the target unit - no improvement. I have also measured the voltages of BKGD (pin 1), RESET (pin 4), and VDD (pin 6) against GND (pin 2):

BKGD: 5V
    RESET: 2.7V
    VDD: 5V

I recognize that the RESET voltage should be 5V; is this indicative of a problem or failure with the programmer itself given that it used to perform without any issues?

Comments

• Greetings,

Thank you very much for giving us great detail of what you have tested so far. This makes is easier and faster for us to debug your issue.

The reset voltage is worrying since 2.7 is right where the chip and the cyclone does not know if the signal is a high or a low.

Some questions:

1) Do you have a pull-up resistor on RESET?

2) Do you have a reset circuitry or is it simply a direct connection between RESET on the chip and the RESET pin on BDM header?

3) When you measured the voltages, was it with the cyclone connected? If not, then there may be an issue on the board. If with the cyclone, see what the voltage is without the cyclone. Let me know of your results.

Takao Yamada

• 1) Do you have a pull-up resistor on RESET? During programming, there chip is powered by the Cyclone Pro.  In the target system, there is a 10k pull up to the 5V rail of the target system.

2) Do you have a reset circuitry or is it simply a direct connection between RESET on the chip and the RESET pin on BDM header? No external reset circuit.

3) When you measured the voltages, was it with the cyclone connected? If not, then there may be an issue on the board. If with the cyclone, see what the voltage is without the cyclone. Let me know of your results. Measured when connected to the target system, Reset voltage is ~1.7V. When disconnected, Reset voltage is 2.7V.

We also configured the AUX button to toggle power to the BDM connection. Testing the voltages open circuit in this configuration also results in 2.7V on the reset pin.

• Greetings,

1) Sounds like the issue is on your board if voltage is 2.7 without the cyclone connected. The 10K pull up is good. Do you have any other component on the reset line? Maybe a resistor in series?

2) Do you have multiple boards, and if so are you experiencing the same behavior?

3) Have you tried programming other chips with the cyclone? Does it work?

Takao Yamada

• 1) Sounds like the issue is on your board if voltage is 2.7 without the cyclone connected. The 10K pull up is good. Do you have any other component on the reset line? Maybe a resistor in series?  No series resistor.  Only other component on the trace in the target system is a .1uF capacitor to ground.

2) Do you have multiple boards, and if so are you experiencing the same behavior? Multiple target boards? Yes - same result with all. Unfortunately, no spare Cyclone Pro's.

3) Have you tried programming other chips with the cyclone? Does it work? No other compatible designs available to try and program. This issue has occurred on the production line in China. Engineers back in the US are sending a spare programmer.

• Greetings,

A few more questions before asking you to send the cyclone in for repair:

4) Are you providing power externally or via the cyclone power relays? If external, try using cyclone relays. If relays, try using external power. See if the results change. This can bring insight to what may be the issue.

5) Have you made changes to your cyclone image recently? Or have you been using the same image and suddenly this error occurred? I just want to know whether you forget a setting during image creation.

6) If after all of this testing you still see no improvement, then let me know and I can create an RMA ticket with you so that you can send this unit for repair. Will this unit come from China directly or from your location in the USA?

Takao Yamada

• 4) Are you providing power externally or via the cyclone power relays? If external, try using cyclone relays. If relays, try using external power. See if the results change. This can bring insight to what may be the issue.

We were trying to power via the Cyclone relays. I didn't have a chance to try external power; returned from China and hand-carried the unit with me while the US engineers shipped a replacement back to the factory in China.

5) Have you made changes to your cyclone image recently? Or have you been using the same image and suddenly this error occurred? I just want to know whether you forget a setting during image creation.

No changes - We had programmed several hundred units without issue the day the same day that we started having problems. Same code, same process.

6) If after all of this testing you still see no improvement, then let me know and I can create an RMA ticket with you so that you can send this unit for repair. Will this unit come from China directly or from your location in the USA?

As I mentioned; I hand-carried back to the USA.

• Greetings,

I have created an RMA ticket for you. You should have gotten an email on how to send your unit back to us.

Please continue your conversation with our RMA engineer. But let us know on the forum if the new cyclone pro unit sent to China is working fine. If this is the case, then we know for sure this particular unit needs repair.

Takao Yamada

• E-mail for RMA received; will follow the instructions once back in the office from the holidays.  The unit which was shipped to China worked fine - so we are quite certain that something has gone wrong with the original unit.

Add comment

Want to comment? Please login or create a new PEMicro account.

© 2017 P&E Microcomputer Systems Inc.
Website Terms of Use and Sales Agreement