Cart New Account Login

HomeAbout usProductsSupportForumsBlogCustomer Service

search inside this forum
unable to connect via USB-ML-PPCBDM
. Nov 6, 2014 at 01:43 PM (13:43 hours)
Staff: Takao Y.

• The base operating system on my machine is Debian Jessie (GNU/Linux).  PROGPPCZ is a Windows executable, so I installed it within a Windows 7 Professional VM under VirtualBox 4.3.18 (Debian r96516).  Within the Device Manager under Computer Management in Windows 7, I see Jungo | USB Multilink 2.0 and Jungo | WinDriver.  Both of these (according to right-click | properties) are Driver Version 11.1.0.0 dated August 29, 2012.

I provide power to the device to be flashed, then run progppc.exe. The PEMICRO Connection Manager comes up with interface set by default to "USB PowerPC BDM Multilink (USB-ML-PPCBDM)", and port is set by default to "USB1: USB-ML-PPCBDM Rev B (PE7012610)".

Leaving all other settings at their defaults, I click the "Connect (Reset)" button, then after 4-5 seconds it comes back by indicating that the port is "Undetected. Disconnect/Connect USB cable. Click Refresh List." Doing so, I then see an additional reference to "FAQ #29". I downloaded (from "http://www.pemicro.com/downloads/download_file.cfm?download_id=301";) the driver_test.exe and ran it -- it reports "No errors were deteced. Your P&E drivers are correctly installed."

The other end of the USB cable is directly connected to the machine -- it is not routed through a hub. I'd appreciate any assistance in getting this working.

(Below is what is detected from Linux, if that's of any help.)

$ sudo lsusb -v -d1357:0503

Bus 002 Device 019: ID 1357:0503 P&E Microcomputer Systems USB-ML-12 HCS08/HCS12 Multilink
    Device Descriptor:
    bLength 18
    bDescriptorType 1
    bcdUSB 2.00
    bDeviceClass 0 (Defined at Interface level)
    bDeviceSubClass 0
    bDeviceProtocol 0
    bMaxPacketSize0 64
    idVendor 0x1357 P&E Microcomputer Systems
    idProduct 0x0503 USB-ML-12 HCS08/HCS12 Multilink
    bcdDevice 2.00
    iManufacturer 1 P&E Microcomp
    iProduct 2 USB-ML-PPCBDM Rev B
    iSerial 3 PE7012610
    bNumConfigurations 1
    Configuration Descriptor:
    bLength 9
    bDescriptorType 2
    wTotalLength 32
    bNumInterfaces 1
    bConfigurationValue 1
    iConfiguration 0
    bmAttributes 0x80
    (Bus Powered)
    MaxPower 240mA
    Interface Descriptor:
    bLength 9
    bDescriptorType 4
    bInterfaceNumber 0
    bAlternateSetting 0
    bNumEndpoints 2
    bInterfaceClass 255 Vendor Specific Class
    bInterfaceSubClass 255 Vendor Specific Subclass
    bInterfaceProtocol 255 Vendor Specific Protocol
    iInterface 0
    Endpoint Descriptor:
    bLength 7
    bDescriptorType 5
    bEndpointAddress 0x81 EP 1 IN
    bmAttributes 2
    Transfer Type Bulk
    Synch Type None
    Usage Type Data
    wMaxPacketSize 0x0100 1x 256 bytes
    bInterval 0
    Endpoint Descriptor:
    bLength 7
    bDescriptorType 5
    bEndpointAddress 0x02 EP 2 OUT
    bmAttributes 2
    Transfer Type Bulk
    Synch Type None
    Usage Type Data
    wMaxPacketSize 0x0100 1x 256 bytes
    bInterval 0
    Device Qualifier (for other device speed):
    bLength 10
    bDescriptorType 6
    bcdUSB 2.00
    bDeviceClass 0 (Defined at Interface level)
    bDeviceSubClass 0
    bDeviceProtocol 0
    bMaxPacketSize0 64
    bNumConfigurations 1
    Device Status: 0x0000
    (Bus Powered)

Comments

• Greetings,

Two things I must point out.
    1) We cannot guarantee that our tools and drivers will work outside of what is officially supported. Our linux drivers are somewhat old and can only support up to Ubuntu 10.04 and RedHat 5.x.

2) We also cannot guarantee our tools work with virtual machines. I personally use them often with Windows as the host and Linux as the VM. But I never done the other way around. We just cannot guarantee its success due to so many operating system flavors.

So with that in mind, it does look like the drivers are working on your Windows VM with both USB Multilink 2.0 and WinDriver installed with the latest version 11.1.0.0. That means at least the blue LED on your multilink should be lit. The yellow LED will only light up if your chip is powered up. Ensure you have both lit before connecting to your board.

If you are still having issues, it is most likely a hardware setup issue. Do you have any custom ribbon cables, adapters, or other unique setup I should know about? Within the connection manager, try lowering the debug shift frequency to increase communication performance and/or add 200ms reset delay especially if you have a reset circuitry within your board's design.

Takao Yamada

• Greetings,

We do plan on releasing soon new linux drivers to support CentOS v6.4 and Ubuntu 14.04.

Were you able to resolve this issue? Or are you still having issues?

Takao Yamada

• I do see both lights enabled as you described.  I have tried several combinations of debug shift and delay timings without success.

The PROGPPCZ cd that I have only seems to contain a Windows installer executable (and an autorun file). I do not have a disc containing Linux drivers. I will be on vacation for the next while, but would be very pleased to try both your old and your new Linux drivers upon my return (December 8).

• Greetings,

Welcome back. The drivers are all set, but I must update documentation to reflect the new changes so when I am done with that then it will be publicly available.

Takao Yamada

• That sounds good.  I just looked again at the contents of the PROGPPCZ disc and see only autorun.inf and PROGPPCZ_install.exe, not any Linux software.

Will I actually need any separate software besides the new Linux device driver that you'll be posting in order to make use of the device?

• Greetings,

The linux drivers are only there to get the P&E hardware recognized and communicating to the operating system.

The PROG software is a Windows-only software tool.
    We do not have any tools that work in Linux for the PPC BDM architecture.

My suggestion for these drivers were to see if your host operating system needs/helps them to get your setup working in your Windows virtual machine. Do you not have a Windows machine nearby to test out if your setup works? If a Windows setup works, then it has something to do with the Linux host and Windows VM combination.

One thing I want you to try is downloading our latest Windows drivers v11.1.1.0:
    http://www.pemicro.com/downloads/download_file.cfm?download_id=301

Takao Yamada

• I have downloaded the latest Windows drivers you pointed to.  The installing executable is signed by PE Micro on July 15, 2014, with the following hashes:
    CRC-32: CBD9A358
    MD5: F0DE1CA84C0DF2C0A9D643318D52E7F6
    SHA-1: 9E117C6DAAE3C12DABBA74E7F988482D2ED205D7

I uninstalled (with delete option checked) the existing drivers and rebooted the VM. I verified that Windows 7 Pro could not find a driver for the USB-ML-PPCBDM, then I ran the above executable as Administrator and installed the drivers.

However, according to the device manager, both the Jungo|Multilink 2.0 and Jungo|WinDriver drivers that are installed by the above-mentioned executable report their versions as 11.1.0.0 rather than 11.1.1.0 and are from 2012. This is highly confusing and suggests that my installation attempt somehow picked up the drivers that shipped with PROGPPCZ instead of the new ones, but it's not clear to me why that would have happened.

Whichever drivers I have installed (right or wrong), flashing did not succeed for me. Unfortunately, I do not currently have access to a full Windows machine that I also have administrator access for, but I do know that one person here does use the software successfully on a Windows machine.

Was my Windows driver installation erroneous? Is there another way to install the drivers that I should attempt?

• Greetings,

No, you did not do the wrong thing. I was misinformed of the version number. It is indeed v11.1.0.0 and what you have should be the latest version.

So if a Windows user has no issues, then it most likely is the linux drivers, which is still being patched up for public release.

Takao Yamada

• Unfortunately, I still do not see the new Linux drivers posted.  I have now managed to obtain a Windows 7 machine on which I have local administrator access.

I have installed PROGPPCZ on the Windows 7 machine, and have removed it from the Windows VM that was hosted by Linux. I do not know if the device will flash properly yet with the new situation, but at least a connection seems to now be made. If I end up having trouble with the new installation, then I will start a fresh post on the forum.

Could you please ensure that P&E Micro does not double-count our licence usage? Thank you.

• Greetings,

Thank you for the update. Unfortunately the Linux drivers are still being patched together due to the holidays and people taking vacations it has been delayed.

I have fixed your license, but please update your P&E account so that your name actually shows up. Currently it is just a dot "."

Takao Yamada

• Greetings,

The Linux drivers are ready!

http://www.pemicro.com/downloads/download_file.cfm?download_id=294

Takao Yamada

Add comment

Want to comment? Please login or create a new PEMicro account.

© 2017 P&E Microcomputer Systems Inc.
Website Terms of Use and Sales Agreement