Cart New Account Login

HomeAbout usProductsSupportForumsBlogCustomer Service

search inside this forum
search inside all forums
P&E support for JTAG chaining questions
Gary O. Sep 17, 2019 at 04:22 PM (16:22 hours)
Staff: Mika I.

• Hi --

I am designing a product that will use an NXP Kinetis K60-something-or-other with a JTAG port. I plan to buy a MultiLink product for the job. I know you support the K60 family..

One of my peripherals will be an Inventek Systems ISM43340 Bluetooth-and-WiFi-in-one-board that has an ST Micro STM32F405 Cortex M4 chip on it. It has a JTAG port, and I know you support this product as well. I don't expect to ever need to reprogram this device, and I am not sure how or even if I can use a debugger on this product to debug my main program on the K60.

I know that JTAG ports are designed to be daisy-chained, but is that advisable, or even possle, for this situation?

Comments

• Hi Gary,

Does your board have separate JTAG ports for the K60 and the STM32F405? If so, you should be able to program each of them individually, without daisy-chaining.

If you only have one JTAG port, and those chips are connected in a daisy chain structure, I can help you set up daisy-chaining in PROGACMP to program either of them.

Best,
    Mika

• Hi Mika --

Well, the board isn't laid out yet, so in theory I could have two JTAG ports. But, it's REALLY tight; we are deleting other functions to make everything fit. From what you say, sharing one JTAG port is possible but not the easiest path.

I forgot to say that I am using the 10 pin mini ARM JTAG port.

I won't be able to use the information for at least a month, and I'll probably lose it in that time, so I will come back when I need it and ask how to do it.

Thanks for your help.

Gary

• Hi Gary,

No problem; let me know when you're ready to set up your board.

For the time being, feel free to read through our blog post about JTAG daisy chaining: http://www.pemicro.com/blog/index.cfm?post_id=136
    The 10-pin mini JTAG port is perfect, and setting up daisy chained devices with our software should be fairly simple.

Best Regards,
    Mika

Add comment

Want to comment? Please login or create a new PEmicro account.

© 2019 P&E Microcomputer Systems Inc.
Website Terms of Use and Sales Agreement