Cart New Account Login

HomeAbout usProductsSupportForumsBlogCustomer Service

search inside this forum
search inside all forums
Programming MPC5775 with PEmicro Multilink Universal FX
Cesar O. Aug 5, 2019 at 01:59 PM (13:59 hours)
Staff: Takao Y.

• Looking to program device MPC5775K using the USB Multilink Universal FX; data sheet for this devise states it is supported by this devise; I am using Port A from the Multilink. The application detects the Multilink module but it can not establish communication with the DUT. Wonder if somebody can share comments/findings to program this MPC using the Multilink.

Comments

• Greetings,

PowerPC Nexus is indeed supported by the Multilink Universal FX. I am the resident expert and do all of the development on this architecture.

Port A is correct and here are my questions:

1) Are you using any custom ribbon cables, adapters, external watchdog, or anything else between the multilink and the chip?

2) What software are you using? Typically there is an option for debug shift frequency/speed and delay after reset. Slow down the frequency and add 200ms delay after reset to improve communication.

3) Do you know if this chip has censorship enabled? If so, you may require a password to enter debug mode. No password, then no entry and you will need to solder on a new chip because you cannot do anything else. You can't even mass erase and bypass security.

Takao Yamada

• Greetings,

Any update on this?

Takao Yamada

• Hi Takao,

We have been trying several times but we have not been successful, answering your questions:

1) Yes we are using a fixture with pogo pins to connect the JTAG port and wires with about 12 cm length, then we have a connector for the ribbon cable that came with multilink and finally connected to the Port A in the multilink.

2) We have tried with different frequencies with no success.

3) The chip has censorship enabled, we have the password.

Regards

Cesar O.

• Greetings,

Thank you for answering my questions and it brings up a lot of changes you will require to enter debug...

For censorship, have you entered the password before entering debug? Not sure which software you are using but you need to find the text field to input your password. Otherwise you will never be able to enter debug.

Takao Yamada

• We entered the password on the corresponding field.

• Greetings,

Could you detail which software you are using and its version if available.

Takao Yamada

• Hi,

We are using: PROGPPCNEXUS Programmer - VERSION 6.22.00.00

Regards

• Greetings,

A) For your wiring, do you have all 14-pins connected for JTAG on port A? If not, which signals are connected and which are omitted.

B) Is your 12cm cable well shielded? You could check with an oscilloscope on the TDO and TDI lines to see if there are lots of noise on the lines.

C) I guess we have not determined whether this multilink is in good condition. Have you used this multilink in other projects, and it has worked? Or is this the first time and no other way to test whether this hardware is working.

Takao Yamada

• Greetings,

Do you have any update on this?

Takao Yamada

• Hi Takao,

Answers to your questions:

A) Not all of the wires are connected; I have TCK, TDI, TDO, GND (pin2), PMS, Reset_B, JCOMP; the other pins are not connected.

B) There is no data on TDO and TDI, those lines are in high level with no transitions.

C) This is a new multilink, not used before.

regards

Cesar Osorio

• Greetings,

It is concerning that you see no signals on TDI and TDO.

Just for sanity check, could you install the multilink resource CD and use the firmware config utility and force update the firmware to work for Qorivva PowerPC architecture. Then repeat your experiment on PROG software again:
    http://www.pemicro.com/downloads/download_file.cfm?download_id=346

Takao Yamada

• Greetings,

Any update on this?

Takao Yamada

Add comment

Want to comment? Please login or create a new PEmicro account.

© 2019 P&E Microcomputer Systems Inc.
Website Terms of Use and Sales Agreement