Cart New Account Login

HomeAbout usProductsSupportForumsBlogCustomer Service

search inside this forum
ECU Power?
. Jun 27, 2017 at 05:26 PM (17:26 hours)
Staff: Takao Y.

• I have an automotive electronic control unit (ECU) equipped with a Freescale/Motorola MPC555 microcontroller and external Intel DE28F800 flash memory.

The ECU is also equipped with what looks like a 14-pin JTAG/BDM access port. Is it possible to supply power to the microcontroller through this access port during programming?

Thanks.

Comments

• Greetings,

If it is 14-pin JTAG, then the chip is more likely than not a MPC5xxx, not a MPC5xx (note the number of x's).

With most PowerPC devices, just powering up the MCU is typically not enough to be able to enter debug mode. Usually you need a 12V external power that powers up the regulator to provide power to the entire circuitry board.

Takao Yamada

• Is it possible to remove this component and program it off the board. If so, do you have or know where I can find a programmer and adapter?

Thanks.

• Greetings,

You want to unsolder the chip and program it? Do you not have access to the power? You can try using our tools to power up the chip. Without the schematics it is hard to say whether it will work. Power regulators do not like being powered from the other direction, but if the circuitry is simple then you can power just the chip and be able to enter debug.

You could pop out the chip and program it. We do not sell or have any suggestions for socket programming.

Since it sounds like you are hacking something, I will note that ECU's and many MPC5xxx devices are typically secured with a censorship password. Without the password you may be stuck not being able to enter debug mode to program or read the memory. Just throwing caution to the wind.

Takao Yamada

• Yes I am wanting to unsolder the chip and simply clone it so that I may program it to another chip. The board the chip is currently on is damaged making it impossible to apply 12V power to it and making the ECU unusable. 

Thank you for the caution, what I am attempting may not be possible at all but I cant really be certain unless I at least entertain the idea

Add comment

Want to comment? Please login or create a new PEMicro account.

© 2017 P&E Microcomputer Systems Inc.
Website Terms of Use and Sales Agreement