Cart New Account Login

HomeAbout usProductsSupportForumsBlogCustomer Service

search inside this forum
Confused about load_srec_file in UNIT library
Eric D. Sep 26, 2016 at 10:34 AM (10:34 hours)
Staff: Takao Y.

• Are the UNIT libraries capable of flashing a mcu?  There are functions named "load_srec_file" and "load_bin_file" which seem like the appropriate functions, but I'm not sure.

Calling the function always seems to return "success" (TRUE).

Comments

• Greetings,

The UNIT can load RAM applications using the load_srec_file and load_bin_file. But it does not have the capabilities of loading FLASH. UNIT is intended to be used after flash programming to run test applications, calibrations, etc.

You need a software like PROG to do the flash programming.

Takao Yamada

• Takao,

I'm looking to integrate flash programming into a standalone development project. It doesn't seem like there is a PROG library. I'm not looking for the flash programmer executables,but rather the dll's.

Is there a PROG library?

• Greetings,

No there is no DLL to interface with PROG software, which is a software with a user interface. What we do have is CPROG, which comes with the purchase of PROG, that is our command-line flash programmer. You could make an external call from your standalone project to this CPROG to flash program an s-record or ELF file using scripts.

Tell me which chip architecture you are trying to flash program and I can send you documentation on how to use CPROG and see if this fits your needs.

Takao Yamada

• Takao,

I already have PROG for my architecture. What do I need to do to redistribute CPROG with my own software?

• Greetings,

I am under the assumption that all the users will be using multilinks. Is this true?

All of your customers/users will need to get a license for PROG/CPROG from our website. You personally cannot distribute the software. Even if you tried, all of your users will be asked for an installation code to activate the software.

Our PROG software is a single-user, single-seat license. So you will not be able to distribute your own license for PROG. You will hit an activation-wall very fast.

I have seen many times where people are doing exactly the same setup you are doing, which is creating a standalone project and they do integrate our DLLs and CPROG software. They include instructions for the users to get their own license from the P&E website.

If you do not want the users to go down this route, what I have also seen is you can buy PROG software licenses in bulk (which gives you a discount) ahead of time, and distribute a license to each user. Just note that we do keep track of each license and it must follow our license agreement of single-user, single-seat. If you plan on going down this route, let me know and we can discuss in private (outside of the public forum) the bulk price of PROG software.

However, if all the users are using Cyclones, then there are other methods outside of using PROG that can flash program with no licensing involved.

Takao Yamada

• Takao,

Thanks for clearing that up. I would like to be able to do both.

For now, how would I go about using the cyclone?

I appreciate all the help.

• Greetings,

For cyclone you could go down the cyclone-version PROG software route, which you will not run into licensing issues because it is free and only works on cyclone hardware. But using PROG on cyclones for flash programming is the slowest option. The bottleneck of using USB or Ethernet to send data and commands over to the cyclone really eats into performance.

Instead, what you can do is generate a SAP image and load it into the cyclone. You could either pre-generate the SAP image for the user and they just have to load it into the cyclone and execute the image. However, if you want to give the user freedom of creating their own SAP image, you could use the CSAP method. I have sent you a document on how to use CSAP to create an image using scripts.

Takao Yamada

Add comment

Want to comment? Please login or create a new PEMicro account.

© 2017 P&E Microcomputer Systems Inc.
Website Terms of Use and Sales Agreement