Cart New Account Login

HomeAbout usProductsSupportForumsBlogCustomer Service

search inside this forum
cyclone max and serial eeproms
Mark C. Nov 15, 2015 at 01:58 PM (13:58 hours)
Staff: Takao Y.

• I have a cyclone max and am trying to program a microchip 93c66a. This is my first venture into EEPROM programming. I think I have the connection figured out, but not sure what algorithm/package to use. anyone have any wisdom they'd like to share?

Comments

• Greetings,

What is the host chip? Usually the EEPROM is connected to a microprocessor and we need to know this before we move on.

We are assuming you are trying to program via QSPI since you mentioned serial.

I would like you to create a support ticket by going to Support page -> flash programming algorithms -> Click here to request a custom flash algorithm. Here mention the host chip and any schematic you can provide on how you have it connected to the EEPROM chip. Our algorithms engineers will take a look and see if we can support your setup.

Takao Yamada

• That's part of what I was trying to figure out. I was trying to put it in directly to the 10 pin "D" port. Since it can't be directly connected I'm assuming I'll need something like a PIC18 or AVR to intercede between the Cyclone and the serial EEPROM. The pins on the 93C66A I have access to are External, not actual IC pins) Pin1 VCC, Pin2 CS, Pin3 Clock, Pin5 Gnd. Pin4 is both wired as serial in and serial out. 
      Serial in comes in through the cathode of a diode to the base of a 2N3906 and has the collector tied to the chip input. Serial out comes from the IC to the base of a 2N3904 where the collector is tied to the cathode of the diode mentioned above. It should be readable and programmable through these pins.
      This is all new to me so I am figuring things out as I go.

• Greetings,

If I understand you correctly, you are trying to only program the EEPROM chip where this is no host chip connected. In this case, unfortunately the P&E tools are not what you are looking for. What we do is load an algorithm into the host chip (e.g. ColdFire, Qorivva, ARM chip) and use the host chip to send serial data via QSPI to program external flash and EEPROM chips.

We do not directly connect to the external memory devices. We have to load an algorithm somewhere that can run the algorithm code.

You may want to contact Microchip to see if they have a solution already for you. They may already have socket adapters where you can insert and eject memory chips and program them using their solutions.

Takao Yamada

• Thank You

• I've been doing some reading. Is this what I am looking for to act as the interface between my Cyclone Max and the serial EEPROM I am trying to program?

http://www.pemicro.com/products/product_viewDetails.cfm?product_id=15320036

• Greetings,

That is one idea. You still need a socket adapter but there is through-hole breadboard on that evaluation board you can use to solder up a connection. Do not buy this board yet. I need you to create the custom algorithm request I mentioned earlier and mention to the flash algorithm expert on how you are looking for a host chip that best works with your cyclone max. He/she may have an already working solution or have better idea than I do. Mention this board as an idea and it may work out for you. But it will all come down to how easy/difficult to generate a custom algorithm.

Takao Yamada

Add comment

Want to comment? Please login or create a new PEMicro account.

© 2017 P&E Microcomputer Systems Inc.
Website Terms of Use and Sales Agreement