Cart New Account Login

HomeAbout usProductsSupportForumsBlogCustomer Service

search inside this forum
FRDM-KL26Z USB Driver
Mark M. Mar 8, 2015 at 09:14 PM (21:14 hours)
Staff: Zahar R.

• Hi everybody. I'm having trouble with the non-sda USB port on my FRDM-KL26Z board. This is the port that connects straight to the KL26Z micro. I need to use this port to communicate with the demo code program. The FRDM-KL26Z quick start guide says on page 5 to get drivers from www.pemicro.com/opensda. I did that, but that didn't help. In the device manager in Windows XP, I see a USB-UART with no driver installed.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Hi Mark,

What version of Windows XP are you running? Do you have a 32 or 64 bit PC?

Please copy and paste the contents of SDA_INFO.HTM file into this thread to provide us with more information about your OpenSDA firmware setup.

Once the FRDM-KL26Z board is plugged in, please go into device manager and see if under Ports (COM & LPT ) tab, OpenSDA - CDC Serial Port is being enumerated.

Best Regards,
    Zahar
    P&E

• Hi. I'm running 32 bit XP.

Here's the contents of the SDA_INFO File:

Your Hardware Information
    Board Name is: FRDM-KL26Z
    MicroBoot Kernel Version is: 1.05
    Bootloader Version is: 1.09
    Installed Application: PEMicro FRDM-KL26Z Mass Storage/Debug App
    Application Version is: 1.14
    DUID is: A5733938-8F1281D6-3749E815-B779E678
    EUID is: ADF1A239-20388738-184B0A12-958268D6
    TUID is: 74823938-473281CA-3763980C-B990E678
    TOA is: 86B6E505-C204353C-1D79DB3C-0DBB3F7B
    TOA2 is: 86B6E505-94E5B89E-8B5E2BB1-1B555C9F
    SUID is: 86B6E505-6D47969C-37239804-8003EC65

When I look in the device manager, I do see an Open SDA - CDC Serial port when I connect to the port that says SDA.

When I connect to the other USB port, the one labeled KL26ZUSB, I see USB-UART in the device manager with a question mark. Windows says it can't find the driver. Do you know where I can get the driver I need?

• Hi Mark, 

If you are seeing OpenSDA - CDC Serial port in your device manager, that means the virtual serial port is properly enumerated by a built in Windows CDC driver. You should not need any additional system drivers to start using this CDC serial port.

In your device manager, you should also see COMxx, the number of the serial port that you can send your serial traffic to.

If you use a serial terminal utility, such as Terra Term (http://download.cnet.com/Tera-Term/3000-20432_4-75766675.html) you will be able to open corresponding COMxx serial port and send/receive traffic from your KL26 target device via OpenSDA interface.

I am not sure why you see a USB-UART in device manager.

What software/application do you currently use to connect to your virtual serial port?

Best Regards,
    Zahar
    P&E

• If I don't have a driver, I don't get a com port number. The utility I use would be irrelevant.

Also, I tried this board with a Windows 7 machine, and had the same result. The SDA port works fine, but there's no driver for the other port.

• Greetings,

Is this issue resolved? Any update on this?

Takao Yamada

• Hi Takao

I just bought my first kl26z and I'm having the same trouble as Mark M. Was this problem resolved and how?

BR
      Allen

• Hi Allen, Mark, 

I just want to clarify CDC Virtual Serial port functionality that is described in the start-up guide of FRDM-KL26z board.

In order to take advantage of built in CDC serial port functionality you actually have to be connected to an OpenSDA SDA USB port. This way serial data that is being sent from the KL26z device will be sent to K20 processor running an OpenSDA interface and in turn sent over to a Windows based serial application via a CDC serial port.

I am not aware of any support for receiving this serial data directly from the KL26 device via a KL26 USB port.

You can download all available example applications provided by NXP from the following web page:

http://www.nxp.com/products/software-and-tools/hardware-development-tools/freedom-development-boards/freedom-development-platform-for-kinetis-kl16-and-kl26-mcus-up-to-128-kb-flash:FRDM-KL26Z?fpsp=1&tab=Design_Tools_Tab

Best Regards,
    Zahar
    P&E

Add comment

Want to comment? Please login or create a new PEMicro account.

© 2017 P&E Microcomputer Systems Inc.
Website Terms of Use and Sales Agreement