Cart New Account Login

HomeAbout usProductsSupportForumsBlogCustomer Service

search inside this forum
Serial Port Graphing Utility v2.05 and TWR-K70F120M
Ben R. Dec 24, 2014 at 11:11 PM (23:11 hours)
Staff: Takao Y.

• I'm beginning to play with the TWR-K70F120M + TWR-SER boards on the Kinetis Tower, using the Kinetis Design Studio KDS 2.0.0 and the P&E OSBDM/OSJTAG Debug Port and CDC Serial Port drivers (under Widows 7). The CDC Serial Port enumerates to COM6. I'm happily compiling and debugging my test software and can input from and output to the Terminal Window on COM6. When my software sends the accelerometer data to COM6 with either the Serial Grapher or Accelerometer utility running, the strings appear in the Terminal Window but nothing happens in the other two windows: Data Snapshot and Data Graphed Over Time. I've tried all possible data formats as per P&E document: "OSBDM/OSJTAG Virtual Serial Toolkit Resources," sec. 1.4.2, to no avail.
    Am I doing something stupid or there is a problem with the graphing software? Hope for some enlightenment in this matter.
    Merry Christmas!
    Ben

Comments

• Greetings,

Have I talked to you before? Your issue sounds familiar but I do not remember where... Anyways.

There is a specific format you need to send the data to show up on that graph correctly. The utility was built originally for the DEMOQE and DEMOJM evaluation boards for the 8 bit architecture many years ago. The utility can still be used for your application, but the demo project was not built for Kinetis ARM. If you want to look at the source for these projects, you can find them here:
    http://www.pemicro.com/downloads/download_file.cfm?download_id=313

Go through documentation, unzip DEMOQE_Accelerometer_Ex_S08 and look at the source code.

The format is in ASCII string with a comma after each data like so:

SendMsg("\r\n");
    SendMsg(word2asc((word)x.result[samp],dis_base));
    SendMsg(",");
    SendMsg(word2asc((word)y.result[samp],dis_base));
    SendMsg(",");
    SendMsg(word2asc((word)z.result[samp],dis_base));
    SendMsg(",");
    SendMsg(word2asc(SampleCNT,dis_base));

SendMsg is just the function name that sent the data over SCI. Dis_base is 16 in this case, and the sampled data is sent as a word (16 bit).

Hopefully that was useful information.

Takao Yamada

• Hi Takao,

Thanks for your quick reply, especially in the festive season...
      I don't think we have spoken before, as this is my first post in that forum.

The DEMOQE software is quite a good source of ideas on accelerometer data sampling, etc., but, unfortunately, did not help in graphing the samples. My software outputs the samples in exactly the required format:

nnnn,nnnn,nnnn,nnnn

where 'n' is an ASCII representation of a hex nibble (0-F) and each line of four numbers ends with '\r\n' characters. I tried sending '\r\n' at the front of each string of four numbers, as in your example, but it didn't change anything.

I've also tried (unsuccessfully) other formats, as described in sec. 1.4.2 of the "OSBDM/OSJTAG Virtual Serial Toolkit Resources," for example:

WnnXnnYnnZnn

I assume that if the samples are displayed in the terminal window, the same data is supposed to be red by the graphing software.

Any more ideas on how to make it to work?

Cheers,

Ben

• Greetings,

What is the baud-rate you have setup for SCI module? You need to match this on both the code and within the graphing application to work.

Unfortunately, I do not have any sample code for ARM devices that would work with our graphing utility. What is your end goal here? Were you able to get serial data in text form to show up? Are you trying to create a graphing application of your own?

Takao Yamada

• Thanks, Takao.

The baud rates were matched (if they were not, I presume, my data wouldn't display in the terminal window in ASCII).

My goal was to avoid writing my own graphing application, so I thought of using the ready-made one. Since I did not succeed, I'm writing this application now. When it's ready I may post it here.

Cheers,

Ben

Add comment

Want to comment? Please login or create a new PEMicro account.

© 2017 P&E Microcomputer Systems Inc.
Website Terms of Use and Sales Agreement