Cart New Account Login

HomeAbout usProductsSupportForumsBlogCustomer Service

search inside this forum
USB to serial driver for DEMOQE
Spencer H. Oct 30, 2014 at 12:59 PM (12:59 hours)
Staff: Takao Y.

• I cant get the USB to serial to work on DEMOQE. I am using Windows 7.
    PEMicro USB and serial Interface (i00) Jungo
    PEMicro USB and serial Interface (i01) Jungo
    USB Composite Device Universal Serial Bus Controller
    Appear in the devices

The version is 11.1.0.0

The USB serial device does not appear in any terminal programs

I am using CodeWarrior 10.6

Comments

• Greetings,

Have you tried using our DEMO tool kit for the DEMOQE? Here is the install:
    http://www.pemicro.com/downloads/download_file.cfm?download_id=313

I want you to go into the documentation and look for the "DEMOQE_Quick_Start_Code.zip" and find the DEMOQE_Accelerometer_EX_S08.zip. In there, you will find our example of how to get the accelerometer data to be sent to the USB Serial Interface (accelerometer.c file). Use this to help you create a project to send data via Serial.

I just tried the DEMOQE board on my Windows 7 machine, downloaded the S19 file onto my chip and run our accelerometer utility and had no issues sending data over serial.

Takao Yamada

• I am using Coldfire, is the DEMOQE_Accelerometer_EX_V1 supposed work I just don't seem to be able to import the project and build it in CodeWarrior 10.6.

I can only build the projects in the C:\Freescale\CW MCU v10.6\MCU\CodeWarrior_Examples\ColdFire_Examples not PE micro ones.

I am not sure that this will help as my on only issue is that the usb serial port does not appear in my list of com devices. My application is running fine if I use the DB9 serial port. I would like to use the USB serial as a colleague has no serial DB9 cable.

Thanks

Spencer

• Greetings,

The demo kit also includes the ColdFire version. Just use the DEMOQE_Accelerometer_EX_V1.zip. These projects will not work in Codewarrior 10.x as they were made for the classic version of Codewarrior but at least you can look at the code to figure out what is different.

You should also check the DEMOQE user manual to learn that there are jumper settings near the DB9 connector that switches between DB9 and serial USB. You want the P&E RXD and P&E TXD set.

Takao Yamada

• Ok thanks that explains why I couldn't build the Accelerometer version.

I still don't why I cant use the USB-serial drivers on my PC. The serial port on the DEMOQE works fine over the DB9 but not over the USB even if I swap the links over.

The USB com port is not visible in the terminal emulator provided by PE or any other one for that matter.

Spencer

• Greetings,

The problem is that the USB COM will not show up as COM 1, COM 2, etc. Instead it has its own drivers and you will need an application that can handle USB COM.

Within this DEMO zip file, go into "drivers" and look for DEMOQE_ToolKit. Extract the serialGrapher.exe and run it. Select USB COM as your Port and set the correct BAUD you have within your SCI module. See if this works for you.

Takao Yamada

• I have tried running the applications in the toolkit, ie SerialGrapher, TerminalWindow etc and they all say "Failed to open. Plug Demo board into PC via USB cable" when I hit Open Serial Port

• Greetings,

That does not make sense. If you have the USB Connection, it would at least connect but give you no data. Make sure you are connected to the P&E USB and make sure no other application is busy using the USB connection, other than Codewarrior debugging. I know I gotten that error message when I accidentally had multiple instances of the terminal window open. We split the USB driver into two so that you should be able to have a Codewarrior debug session via USB and still be able to connect to USB COM in our P&E terminal window.

When you get that "fail to open" error again, double check your device manager that you still see the two drivers.

Takao Yamada

• I have a CodeWarrior 10.6 debug session running over the USB, so the USB is OK.
      I get the error message in the terminal window whether Codewarrior is running or not.
      I don't have multiple terminal sessions up and there are two Jungo drivers running in the device manager.
      Its all a mystery.
      Spencer

• Greetings,

I think I know the problem. Our utility for the terminal window is out of date. Try downloading the OSBDM virtual serial toolkit from this website:
    http://www.pemicro.com/osbdm/

This utility is newer and I had no issues on this toolkit to get data from USB COM. Let me know if this worked out.

Takao Yamada

• Greetings,

Did my suggestion help? Any update on this?

Takao Yamada

• I have just tried it, it works now. Thanks for your help.
      Spencer

• I also have a windows 7 64 bit system.  The Jungo driver seems OK (there are no errors and there is a pair of USB to serial devices).  I have your P&E virtual serial toolkit and I cannot get the system to have any indication of serial data.  What is your suggested troubleshooting?

Thanks,
    Kevin Sinnott

• Greetings,

If you are getting nothing, then either your code is not executing correctly or you have the wrong port open. Check your device manager and find those USB to serial pairs and look for any COM XX labels, where XX indicates the port number it is enumerated/assigned to. You want to open this port number within the terminal window.

If you see something but just random characters then check your code and settings and make sure you have the correct baud rate and bit lengths that match your serial data.

Takao Yamada

• Thanks for the ideas.  Before I plug in the Demoqe there is just com1: on the system.  After I plug the Demoqe I still just have com1:.  Before I plug in the Demoqe the device manager has a "Jungo" item with "WinDriver" in it.  After I plug the Demoqe in there are 2 more items under Jungo:

PEMicro USB and Serial Interface (i00)
        PEMicro USB and Serial Interface (i01)

I have PEMicro "P&E Virtual Serial Toolkit" installed. I have been trying all the demos and all behave the same. For example, I can launch the accelerometer demo and I get the window and connection options com1: to com8: and "USB COM". I can pick 1 or "USB COM" and I get nothing. Any other port and I get an error message saying it cannot open the port. If I unplug the Demoqe I also get the error message when I try to open the "USB COM" port. Because of this I believe it is finding the USB COM port but the card will not respond.

I do not see any characters. Nothing I send will affect the Demoqe. The Demoqe does work with just the USB port plugged in. Power is on, button PA2 seems to work, the ADC mode responds to the pot being adjusted.

What would the next trouble shooting step?

Thanks
        Kevin

• Greetings,

Either your code is not sending any serial data, or there is a jumper on the DEMOQE that is sending the serial data over the DB9 or over the USB. This is detailed in the user guide for the DEMOQE board. I think it is PTC5.

Takao Yamada

• Thanks for the quick response.  

In the RS232 section of the card there is the ptc5 jumper and the J6/J7 jumpers. I believe I had it in the correct position as per the manual, but I tried all possibilities (assuming I may be mis-reading the manual). No difference in any of the 4 options. Each time I shut the card down, exited the software, reconnected the card, restarted the software, and reconnected to the card.

Kevin

• When you connect should it start sending accelerometer data?  It does not and then I try to send some serial characters to see if I can get a response.  Nothing.

Thanks,
        Kevin

• Greetings,

Get a scope and put it directly on this jumper. You should see toggling on this line if you are indeed sending data via serial. If you are not seeing anything, then it is most definitely your code not executing. If you see serial data and you cannot get the serial to show up on a terminal, then we need to make sure we have you using a working terminal.

Takao Yamada

• I will try the scope.  I am using the terminal program in the P&E demos.

Kevin

• Greetings,

Any luck with the scope?

Takao Yamada

Add comment

Want to comment? Please login or create a new PEMicro account.

© 2017 P&E Microcomputer Systems Inc.
Website Terms of Use and Sales Agreement