Cart New Account Login

HomeAbout usProductsSupportForumsBlogCustomer Service

search inside this forum
ABOUT MON08 MULTILINK USE
Oscar E. Aug 27, 2014 at 12:47 PM (12:47 hours)
Staff: Johnny N.

• I just got the MON08 Multilink programmer a few days ago and I was investigating how to use the multilink to program a simple code within the MC908QY4CPE microcontroller but I'm having some trouble since I'm not really sure how should I wire the Multilink in order to program the IC.

Is worth to mention that I did check the datasheet for the MC68HC908QY4 IC family pages 135-142 related to the Monitor Module & Mode Circuits and even the document refers to the "MON08-Cyclone 2" pins but it is not very clear. I'm not sure if I should use any of the circuit diagrams exposed since they seem to work through a wiring directly to the PC using the serial port DB9.

Is there any way someone could help me to get through this?

I'd appreciate your support.

Regards!

Comments

• Anyone that might want to give some light about this topic? :)

• Oscar,

The pin out for the HC08 QY4 is found on page 141 of the Cyclone Pro User Manual. I just sent you the manual.

Regards,
      Johnny
      P&E

• Thanks for the info Johnny, just to clarify. What I bought a few days ago was the MON08 MULTILINK so I suppose I should wire the IC pins as the document is pointing out and according to the label on the Multilink.

Now, about the pull up resistor that the document mention on the reset pin. 4.7k to VCC (external voltage source to 5v) would be enough to connect the reset line?

Thanks for support.

Regards!

• Hi Oscar,

The same pinout is used by all of our MON08 interfaces.

Yes, 4.7kohm to 10kohm is fine for the pullup resistor on RESET and on PTA0.

Regards,
          Johnny
          P&E

• Hi Johnny, I tried to program the IC as you told me but I'm having real issues to program it (i.e. MC908QY4CPE) with PROG08SZ. The main problem is that for some reason I cannot access the ROM (Flash) in the IC when the security bytes are being transferred. I took some images to show every step and the error that comes up. Is worth to mention that I'm planning to code using code warrior 6.3. I did some coding just to turn on/off an LED to know whether the MON08 MULTILINK is working or not and when I'm trying to program with code warrior the same problem happens, I cannot program the IC since I'm not having access to the flash.

Also I must mention that the ICs that I bought are brand new. I have 3 of them and I tried the same steps with two and the result is the same. I'm kind of desperate because I don't know what is happening.

• Hi Oscar,

We're going to need to see a schematic of your board. Since it is not possible to attach files yet in the forum, please open a support ticket under Support Requests -> http://www.pemicro.com/support/index.cfm

You can attach the schematic and the screenshots in the ticket. One of our HC08 engineers will try their best to help you figure out the problem.

Regards,
              Johnny
              P&E

• Thanks Johnny, finally I got the Multilink working, it seems that I was missing some connections but I will open a ticket anyway so you can confirm the schematic. I must say that I am still having troubles when programming through code warrior 6.3. I did some coding for a basic PWM signal and when I download the code into the chip a reset sequence is started once the IC has been allegdly programed but it always fail so I'm not sure whether the IC was programmed correctly or not. Right now, I have no way to measure the PWM since since I have not an oscilloscope so I was trying to confirm this through debugging but as I said it the reset sequence always fails so I'm not really sure if this is because the output for the PWM is the PIN PTA0 which is the same PIN used by the MULTILINK Tool for communications the fact is that I'm guessing here. 

Is worth to mention that I did code a simpler test just enabling the PIN for PTB3 as HIGH to turn on an LED, this PIN has not connection to the MULTILINK tool and once the same restart sequence starts to enter debugging mode in code warrior it actually works.

I'm a little confused here, is this an expected behavior? Is there any way to export the code from code warrior to any of the PEMICRO tools and then program the IC using that tools? This way I guess the restart sequence from code warrior tool to enter debug mode will not be executed. So far I have not figured how to disable this sequence and just to program the IC but I'm afraid that this will not be possible.

Regards!

• Hi Oscar,

The PTA0 pin is used by the P&E tool for program/debug communications so you CANNOT use it to generate your PWM signal.

I would recommend using our PROG08SZ software to program the chip. After you program it you can should do a verify module which will confirm that the chip has the correct code. I put a download to the PROG software in your support ticket.

Regards,
      Johnny
      P&E

Add comment

Want to comment? Please login or create a new PEMicro account.

© 2017 P&E Microcomputer Systems Inc.
Website Terms of Use and Sales Agreement