Cart New Account Login

HomeAbout usProductsSupportForumsBlogCustomer Service

search inside this forum
Which tool shall I use to program a MC68HC08QY4 (MC908QY4CPE) microcontroller.
Oscar E. Aug 14, 2014 at 02:17 AM (02:17 hours)
Staff: Takao Y.

• Hope anyone can help me. I'm trying to program an MC908QY4CPE microcontroller but Im not really sure which tool is the indicated to do it.

Also I'd like to know any tool that I could use to simulate my code programmed within that micro and test it with some electronic devices connected as I can do with proteus for microchip microcontrollers for example. The problem with proteus is that the IC is not available to be simulated also there is no way to get a library to simulate it because the IC family is something that proteus does not support. Hope anyone could help me. The cheaper the better. :)

Comments

• Greetings,

All of your software questions can be found here:
    http://www.pemicro.com/support/download_processor.cfm?family=1

Most of our software tools and support are free for the HC08 architecture. (Not the case for all the other chip architectures).

For hardware, it depends whether you are in production or still in development. If development, then you want the MON08 multilink due to its cheaper cost and simplicity:
    http://www.pemicro.com/products/product_viewDetails.cfm?product_id=19

If you are ready for production, then I suggest the cyclone pro to allow you to do standalone programming:
    http://www.pemicro.com/products/product_viewDetails.cfm?product_id=1

Takao Yamada

• Thank you so much for the information Mr. Takao. I will be buying the tool in the following days. Regards!

• Hi Mr. Takao, As I said before I just got the MON08 Multilink programmer a few days ago and I was investigating how to use the multilink to program a simple code within the MC908QY4CPE microcontroller but I'm having some trouble since I'm not really sure how should I wire the Multilink in order to program the IC.

Is worth to mention that I did check the datasheet for the MC68HC908QY4 IC family pages 135-142 related to the Monitor Module & Mode Circuits and even the document refers to the "MON08-Cyclone 2" pins but it is not very clear. I'm not sure if I should use any of the circuit diagrams exposed since they seem to work through a wiring directly to the PC using the serial port DB9.

Is there any way you or someone could help me to get through this?

I'd appreciate your support.

Regards!

• Greetings,

Have you tried using the PROG08SZ software? It is our free flash programming software for the HC08 target and when you select the QY4 as your chip, it will display which signals you need connected to your multilink to get it connected. Here is the link to download the software:
    http://www.pemicro.com/downloads/download_file.cfm?download_id=83

Also, within the software there is a MON08 diagnostics button on the bottom right corner. Enable it and go through the steps to enter monitor mode.

Takao Yamada

• Thanks for the info Mr. Takao, 

One more question, in reference to the pull up resistor that should be wired to the reset line 4.7k to VCC (external voltage source of 5V) would be enough?

Thanks for your support.

Regards!

• Greetings,

We normally suggestion 4.7k pull-up resistor so you are right on track.
    I hope I have answered all of your questions.

Takao Yamada

• Hello again Mr. Takao

I tried to program the IC as you told me but I'm having real issues to program it (i.e. MC908QY4CPE) with PROG08SZ. The main problem is that for some reason I cannot access the ROM (Flash) in the IC when the security bytes are being transferred. I took some images to show every step and the error that comes up. Is worth to mention that I'm planning to code using code warrior 6.3. I did some coding just to turn on/off an LED to know whether the MON08 MULTILINK is working or not and when I'm trying to program with code warrior the same problem happens, I cannot program the IC since I'm not having access to the flash.

Also I must mention that the ICs that I bought are brand new. I have 3 of them and I tried the same steps with two and the result is the same. I'm kind of desperate because I don't know what is happening.

Add comment

Want to comment? Please login or create a new PEMicro account.

© 2017 P&E Microcomputer Systems Inc.
Website Terms of Use and Sales Agreement