Cart New Account Login

HomeAbout usProductsSupportForumsBlogCustomer Service

search inside this forum
Demo9S00SH32 BDM port
Patrick M. Jan 19, 2014 at 01:49 AM (01:49 hours)
Staff: Takao Y.

• I am able to connect, program and debug the onboard 9S08SH32 chip using the usb-bdm input but how do I access the target BDM port? I even tried removing the chip and that did not work?

Comments

• Hi Patrick,

Are you referring to the BDM_PORT header on the board? You'll have to solder the 6-pin header yourself and then power up the board externally (eg. through the PWR barrel connector).

At that point you should be able to use an external hardware interface (such as P&E's USB-ML-12) to plug into the BDM_PORT header and debug/flash program.

Best regards,
      Edison

• Thanks Edison for reply,

Yes that's right and which I had done, but I would have assumed that that port is a BDM output to my target prototype; having assumed that, I find that the onboard MC9s08sh32 is across the internal multilink.
    I notice 2 x C6675Z chips which appear that they might be something to do with selecting which BDM is to be used.
    I have other Demo board which have removable in circuit development chips and after I had made my prototype board I have been able to use the BDM output port to connect to my proto for incircuit debugging.

Typo correction on the subject "Demo9S08SH32 DBM port".

Regards
    Patrick

• Hi Patrick,

I'm not sure if the DEMO9S08SH32 can be used to debug your custom board in this manner. I know that many of the Freescale DEMO boards aren't designed for this.

You may need a USB-ML-12 once you migrate from the DEMO board to your own custom hardware.

Best regards,
      Edison

• Greetings,

Has this issue been resolved? Please let us know if there are any new findings or if you have any further questions or concerns.

Takao Yamada

• Thanks for your input guys,

I would like to say that I have made many products using demo9s08qg8, demo9s08aw60e and demojm, although I have USB-ML-12 I have usually targeted my prototype using the 6 pin header which was handy because I could use usb power.
    I have used these demo boards for 9S08SH32 development for usb power.
    I did have a cyclone-pro but I had to supply that to a customer for factory programing.
    What I notices about the Demo9S08SH32 is that there is a couple of C66757 IC porting chips on the usb bdm side which must have special software to target the 6 pin header. I thought someone might know how to operate these.

Regards
    Patrick

• Greetings,

It is actually a limitation placed on the embedded multilink firmware that prevents users from just connecting any chip to the BDM connection. The embedded multilink was designed to work only on that board and for specific chips that it detects. For example, the DEMOQG board will only work with QG chips. DEMOJM will only work with JM chips, etc.

This is why we advise users to purchase our external debugging multilinks to program and debug their prototyped boards.

Do you have any other questions or concerns?

Takao Yamada

• Greetings,

Do you have any other questions or concerns?

Takao Yamada

• No
    Thankyou
    Patrick

Add comment

Want to comment? Please login or create a new PEMicro account.

© 2017 P&E Microcomputer Systems Inc.
Website Terms of Use and Sales Agreement