Cart New Account Login

HomeAbout usProductsSupportForumsBlogCustomer Service

search inside this forum
How to access internal 68360 config registers
. migrated on Dec 31, 2013 at 11:00 AM
No staff assigned yet

• I am using a new ICD32Z BDM connected to a Freescale MC68360 processor.  Our older model BDM for the 68360 (also PEMICRO) allowed the use of scripts to initialize the internal configuration registers of the 68360.   The new model BDM seems to provide only a GUI interface (using the REG32 file) to gain access to these registers.  Is there a way to configure the internal 68360 config registers other than through the GUI (which is very inconvenient, since we are debugging bootup issues and the boot code is not getting loaded and initializing the config registers for us).

Another issue is that when we do boot up, we are not able to change the contents of the internal config registers. It appears that the GUI interface (for REG32) thinks the internal registers are memory mapped somewhere in the low address range, but the MBAR register (base address pointer to the internal config register) seems to indicate they should be mapped in the upper address range (FFFE0000, I think).

Would appreciate any help! I'm relatively unfamiliar with the 68360 and with BDM's in general, but have some experience using emulators in the (ancient) past. :-)

Comments

• QUOTE (tommy_b @ Oct 13 2011, 03:30 PM) [legacy comment]
    I am using a new ICD32Z BDM connected to a Freescale MC68360 processor. Our older model BDM for the 68360 (also PEMICRO) allowed the use of scripts to initialize the internal configuration registers of the 68360. The new model BDM seems to provide only a GUI interface (using the REG32 file) to gain access to these registers. Is there a way to configure the internal 68360 config registers other than through the GUI (which is very inconvenient, since we are debugging bootup issues and the boot code is not getting loaded and initializing the config registers for us).

Another issue is that when we do boot up, we are not able to change the contents of the internal config registers. It appears that the GUI interface (for REG32) thinks the internal registers are memory mapped somewhere in the low address range, but the MBAR register (base address pointer to the internal config register) seems to indicate they should be mapped in the upper address range (FFFE0000, I think).

Would appreciate any help! I'm relatively unfamiliar with the 68360 and with BDM's in general, but have some experience using emulators in the (ancient) past. :-)

Never mind! :-) I've since learned that the Master Base Address Register (whose value is a pointer to the internal 8K block containing DPRAM/Registers) is not necessarily at fixed address 3FF00h, which the 68360 datasheet seems to indicate. That address is really a fixed "offset" into the SIM60 block. The entire SIM60 block can be mapped elsewhere via some other config registers (SFC and DFC?), which I've yet to find. I'm sure I'll figure it out eventually.

Just thought I would pass this info along for the next 68360 victim. :-)

• I would still like to know if there is a way to initialize the internal 68360 config registers via a script/macro, in lieu of using the GUI interface (REG32).

Add comment

Want to comment? Please login or create a new PEMicro account.

© 2017 P&E Microcomputer Systems Inc.
Website Terms of Use and Sales Agreement